Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Advanced Limit Holdem Strategy by Barry Tanenbaum

I just happened upon this upcoming release while searching "limit hold em" on amazon. It appears to be coming out in May some time. Can anyone comment on the author or shed some light on the expected quality? Tanenbaum is also collaborating on a shorthanded text with Terry Borer and Lawrence Mak due out in August. I say that as though I've ever heard of these guys. Both books are to be published by D&B, the publishers of Byron Jacobs and Rolf Slotboom books.

links:
advanced...

shorthanded...
Old 04-10-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Advanced Limit Holdem Strategy by Barry Tanenbaum

Barry Tanenbaum is a columnist for Card Player, so if you want to see what his writing is like, check out an issue or their web site. Personally, he's my favorite writer for that magazine, and I know he's a successful player, so this is a book that I'm anticipating more than most.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 AM

Looks like that will be a very good book.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 AM

I've taken a lesson from Barry in the past and he is very good at getting his point across in a straightforward, easy to understand fashion. I think he is one of the best thinkers of the game out there and I will definitely pick this one up.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 AM

barry plays 5 nights at the bellagio 30/60, 40/80 and is a 2bb or more winner over the long haul.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 AM

Check out his site at http://www.barrytanenbaum.com/ He is very active on his forum.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 AM

I've been looking forward to this book for a long time.
Barry's column's are the only reason I read Cardplayer these days.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to try Roy Cook's articles, they are much better than Barry's. Also when Byron Jacob's submits an article they are really great as well. Personally I'm not a Barry fan, his communication skills aren't what you would expect from a teacher but I'm willing to check out the book before judging. His shorthanded book concerns me, Barry plays mostly full ring games at the B - unless he has been practicing short handed games online in secret I don't think he has the background for this book. Luckily he is working for Byron Jacobs who is the publisher, Byron is a short handed and HU expert.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to try Roy Cook's articles, they are much better than Barry's. Also when Byron Jacob's submits an article they are really great as well. Personally I'm not a Barry fan, his communication skills aren't what you would expect from a teacher but I'm willing to check out the book before judging. His shorthanded book concerns me, Barry plays mostly full ring games at the B - unless he has been practicing short handed games online in secret I don't think he has the background for this book. Luckily he is working for Byron Jacobs who is the publisher, Byron is a short handed and HU expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cooke's column's aren't bad either. I disagree that they're better than BT. I don't have a problem with how Barry communicates. Barry's articles tend to be more strategy and situation based. i.e. "Here's a situation on the flop. Here a several options. I like Play X because blah blah. Here's what you to consider on the turn if A happens, b happens, c happens etc." I find this approach best for me to learn. Cooke's columns are usually just hand histories and too often they tend to read like "Here's a hand I played against a bad player. By the river I had second nuts (or some monster hand), I kept betting but the bad player had the nuts. Oh well. I'm still happy with how I played it though"

I have heard really good things about Cooke's book (Real Poker or something along those lines) which I haven't had a chance to check out yet (but I plan to).

I haven't payed too much attention to Jacob's because I don't play alot of shorthanded games yet. I plan to start learning soon and will definately be consulting some of his articles/books as I've heard many echo your opinions of him.