Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Good Poker player moving on to Good Trader?

Hi,

I've heard/read those who did well as a stocktrader, and moved onto poker. But anyone here did it the other way round???

Would be nice to hear your experiences.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Good Poker player moving on to Good Trader?

Sort of, I was a poker player during uni to do the obvious pay for bills stuff, then I started trading later on.

Except for understand probability and handling draw downs, I don't really see any advantages to having a poker mindset. Individual psychology is pretty inapplicable to group psych [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I've heard/read those who did well as a stocktrader, and moved onto poker. But anyone here did it the other way round???

Would be nice to hear your experiences.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO it would be a totally diff. hurdle,moving from a successful PP to trying to become successful trader...and its not even close.

Becoming a great/successful trader is much harder,needing totally diff. sets of skills,BR reqirements,whether you have an education and are starting with a BIG firm,or starting on bottom as clerk on the floor,or worse yet even thinking that Daytrading is the same as poker!

Be careful [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

SF
Old 10-29-2007, 09:10 AM

Ill agree with the above two posts that alot of poker players have heard the switch is easy, but its really not
Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 AM

A transition from trading to top level professional poker for the average successful trader would also not be easy.

For poker --> trading, beyond anything, it depends on how well you were able to synthesize abstract external ideas through poker(i.e. learner luck, what makes certain players very good, playing defense, command of complexity, etc.), rather than being an expert at various pure poker concepts(i.e. oscillating ranges).
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 AM

pro trading and pro poker share common requirements like;

strict money management
discipline
patience

but thats about where it ends. Trading is a completely different beast altogether. To be a good trader you have to have a firm grasp of either (or both) Fundamental and Technical Analysis, and that only comes with a great deal of study and experience, regardless if you are a pro poker player or not. Professional trading is a far cry from learning things like memorising outs charts and when you should hit draws.