Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Torre is back

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, if Kobe's paid to win championships, and fails to do so, it stands to reason he should be taking a 1/3 pay cut with performance incentives added, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he averages 10 points in the finals then maybe.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno if this has been mentioned already, but the Yankees offer appears to be a very clever proxy for whether Torre still belongs in NY.

If he has not accumulated any arrogance over the 12 years, he gladly accepts any decent sized paycut offer, realizing that his crazy 7.5mil/year payouts were based solely on his variance-induced late '90s accomplishments and that he does not deserve to keep receiving them.

If on the other hand he walks from the offer and then bitches about being disrespected, he confirms the hypothesis that he cares more about personal respect than team success. That is the exact apex you want to look for when making a decision on a "top exec", and the Yankees uncovered it beautifully.

Given his actions the past 2 days, Torre has proven unequivocally that he is NOT the same guy he was in the '90s. In that case, its very very good that he's gone, b.c. that proves he's worth far less than even what was offered. In fact, he may actually be worth negative money at this point, as ludicrous as it sounds / seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is ludicrous. To take your example to the extreme, if he was a true team player, he should offer to work for free so that they could spend the money elsewhere to make the team better.

The Yankees would have been better off firing him outright instead of giving him the offer they gave.

All that offer says is "We don't really want you back so we're not offering you anything longer than a year because we plan to fire you at the first opportunity and don't want have to pay out a 2nd or 3rd year"
Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno if this has been mentioned already, but the Yankees offer appears to be a very clever proxy for whether Torre still belongs in NY.

If he has not accumulated any arrogance over the 12 years, he gladly accepts any decent sized paycut offer, realizing that his crazy 7.5mil/year payouts were based solely on his variance-induced late '90s accomplishments and that he does not deserve to keep receiving them.

If on the other hand he walks from the offer and then bitches about being disrespected, he confirms the hypothesis that he cares more about personal respect than team success. That is the exact apex you want to look for when making a decision on a "top exec", and the Yankees uncovered it beautifully.

Given his actions the past 2 days, Torre has proven unequivocally that he is NOT the same guy he was in the '90s. In that case, its very very good that he's gone, b.c. that proves he's worth far less than even what was offered. In fact, he may actually be worth negative money at this point, as ludicrous as it sounds / seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is ludicrous. To take your example to the extreme, if he was a true team player, he should offer to work for free so that they could spend the money elsewhere to make the team better.

The Yankees would have been better off firing him outright instead of giving him the offer they gave.

All that offer says is "We don't really want you back so we're not offering you anything longer than a year because we plan to fire you at the first opportunity and don't want have to pay out a 2nd or 3rd year"

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would that be better off? I know if I were Torre, I would have instantly accepted the Yanks offer if I still wanted to manage. In fact I would have accepted a zero guarantee, $10mil for WS title offer b.c. that would be very fair given the total amount paid out in the past 12 years and corresponding results. A true insult/mistake would have been not making any offer to a person who is still so eager to manage and win that he doesn't care about money.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'd
Old 10-19-2007, 10:18 PM

makes me ill how espn breaks into programming to spend an hour on the subject 2 days in a row. sick!

would they do this for the padres? hell no
Old 10-19-2007, 10:41 PM

how is that offer bad?
the ONLY Joe Torre has to the Yankees is that the players like him. If you were extremely overpaid and your boss let you do whatever you wanted you would probably like him too.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
makes me ill how espn breaks into programming to spend an hour on the subject 2 days in a row. sick!

would they do this for the padres? hell no

[/ QUOTE ]

An hour??? LOL. ESPN spent 2 hours on the Torre press conference alone today (1 hour for the press conference and 1 hour for the pre-press conference show) Also, Baseball Tonight was 35% on Cleveland/Boston, 64.5% on Joe Torre, and 0.5% on everything else (inccluding some team West of the Mississippi that apparently won the NLCS). And ESPN Classic is showing highlights of Torre's career.... and much more...

So if you are going to be outraged, at least get your facts straight.

And realize that no one cares about the Padres.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Torre is back... edit... NOT

Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 AM

WABC story of Joe Torre Being fired by New York- that's the New York Mets in 1981.

The Torre part starts at 1:50.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:42 AM

Torre should have been let go years ago; he's not a great manager.

Also, he should have quit years ago; that job sucks balls.