Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Players Commenting on my tightness

There are a few ways to look at it, and they all benefit you:

1. You now know what your table image is. They don't know what you think of them, but you know what they think of you. You have more information than they do and can make better decisions.

2. I get those same comments. I have noticed that the concept of "tight-aggressive" is beyond them. If I do see the flop and fire at it, they assume I have the goods because I'm tight preflop (at least comparatively). The truth is 2/3 of my flop bets are continuation bets with ace high. But they fold to almost all of them.

3. A whole lot of B&M players will know very well that you are a tight player and still don't adjust their game at all vs. you. So it doesn't matter what they think anyway. You must identify which ones adjust and which ones don't and just get a level below whichever one you are playing in that particular hand.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM

Nobody has specified yet but are these players commenting during the hand or between hands or both?

IMO, anybody making comments during play needs to STFU...any competent dealer knows that & should deal with it.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 5/10 NL in b & m settings, and sometimes when I am playing players will comment/complain to me that I play too tight/he doesn't play any hands, etc.. While I play, I do not comment on anyone's play or style. I try and keep very quiet and to myself. If this happens to anyone else, how do you deal with it? I usually just say nothing back and ignore them, but it eats at me a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great. You should be polite and encourage their belief that you are super tight. That way you can OCCASIONALLY bluff into a decent regular who will fold to you where he might call someone else, you can "semi-bluff raise" occaisionally to steal a "family" pot that gets limped to you in BB when you have junk like Q9s, and you can periodically loosen up some on the button preflop to steal uncontested pots post flop with just about any two cards. You can raise 78s in EP, then win a small pot with most continuation bets, or a big one when you flop a straight vs some guy's 2-pair that he figures "must be good" vs your obviously "overpair." Etc. Etc.

Essentially, you are in a great spot. Not only should you NOT be worried or upset by their comments, but you should do and say things to subtly encourage their pigeon-holing you as a rock so that you can take advantage of their perception by occasionally loosening up in critical spots vs opponents that think you're too solid to mess with.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Thank you for all the comments. The comments are made in between hands. Depending on the table, some people adjust to me, some don't. I do use my table image to my advantage to bluff and semi-bluff after I have established my image. The game that I play in though usually at least half the table has played with me before, so I don't need to establish an image because they already have one of me.

Depending on the table, sometimes my raises get respect and sometimes they don't. I was more worried about the psychological effect of the treatment getting to the point of me not wanting to play at the table anymore, however profitable it may be. I know, I should just ignore them and play my game.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for all the comments. The comments are made in between hands. Depending on the table, some people adjust to me, some don't. I do use my table image to my advantage to bluff and semi-bluff after I have established my image. The game that I play in though usually at least half the table has played with me before, so I don't need to establish an image because they already have one of me.

Depending on the table, sometimes my raises get respect and sometimes they don't. I was more worried about the psychological effect of the treatment getting to the point of me not wanting to play at the table anymore, however profitable it may be. I know, I should just ignore them and play my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing for "respect" or "companionship" then you will need to reevaluate your reasons for playing. If you are playing to win money, then you should play in a manner that wins the most money. I suspect that tight aggressive wins a lot of money in the games you're playing, so focus on the expected value and not the comments. The others are probably just jealous that you are a consistent winner because you're disciplined, they are not consistent winners because they are not disciplined, and you all know it.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Another thing is most live players could not tell you the difference between Tight/passive and Loose/Aggr. I have raised a table like 6 hands in a row before and then folded for about 5 hands and fish start chiming in "I thought u were Mr. Aggressive, now you fold 5 hands in a row!?!?" One of the ways to win is to always play tighter then the opponents and always enter the pot w/ superior hands/ and postion. If they comment on your tightness, then you are doing just fine.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:44 PM

I have the same B&M image. I can't help it; I play a lot online and even after I loosen up I can't play J7s from MP. Don't worry though; because these same idiots cannot fathom that post flop I bluff constantly; they just assume a tight player has the goods. So just smile and enjoy the money. and better yet, I've noticed that some of them like to call for spite (sort of hunt down the nit sort of a game) and I'll get paid on big hands as well. You only need to worry about a tight image if you can't get action anymore. And the monkeys I play with just can't help it, even right after making a crack.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 5/10 NL in b & m settings, and sometimes when I am playing players will comment/complain to me that I play too tight/he doesn't play any hands, etc.. While I play, I do not comment on anyone's play or style. I try and keep very quiet and to myself. If this happens to anyone else, how do you deal with it? I usually just say nothing back and ignore them, but it eats at me a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I make these comments a lot. It lets the weaker players know not to pay you off. Tight players make terrible games. The less they get paid off with the nuts, the more money the fish have for me. I give a lot of action and get paid off because of it. You could always show a big bluff with nothing if you want to get rid of that image. Or you could use it to your advantage and steal more pots.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:27 PM

i usually get the "this guy hasn't played a hand in an hour" comment from the gamblers as soon as i raise. This makes me very mad because i open or raise and they let the ones not paying attention know what i'm up to. Part of the reason i stay away from the place now
Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Nothing sounds better than hearing someone say "yeah when he plays he's got something". Sounds like a perfect image.