Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Players Commenting on my tightness

I play 5/10 NL in b & m settings, and sometimes when I am playing players will comment/complain to me that I play too tight/he doesn't play any hands, etc.. While I play, I do not comment on anyone's play or style. I try and keep very quiet and to myself. If this happens to anyone else, how do you deal with it? I usually just say nothing back and ignore them, but it eats at me a little.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Players Commenting on my tightness

Guess you have the image you want...tight. Are they lying? Do they also all fold when you get in?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Sounds like a perfect time to bluff to me.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 AM

I get called tight all the time. It let's me use one of my favorite lines:

'I'm very tight. It makes me popular down at the bath-house.'

It's good for a laugh at least.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 AM

You play your own game and tell them to STFU.

Great image to start playing more marginal hands though. Then when they cotton on start tightening up again.

When you leave the table make sure you count all your winnings slowly in front of them and say "thank you for playing so loose, see you tomorrow I hope".
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 AM

"but it eats at me a little."

We all want to be respected by other players, we want them to admire us for our skilled aggro play etc, etc. But f* that, you play your own (probably very profitable) game and let them wave their [censored] around.

Another thing, it's not like these guys have decided "Im going to play lots of hands because I can outplay post flop",they havent made any decision at all, they're just going on instinct and doing whatever comes natual because they haven't got the disipline to do what you're doing. Thats whats pissing them off.

The previous posters are right, you should use your image to mix it up a little, but dont make any radical changes. If ,for example, your preflop raising range in the CO is 88+/ AQo/AJs then start to raise with half of 77s and half AJo. BUT this should only be done if you not getting any action on your hands, if you currenltly get plenty of action, dont change a thing.

Let the waves of fish smash them selves on your rocky hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tell them to STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Also add a KITN & you have your solution.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM

I've had that same problem live - my style is to play a reasonable number of pots (more than I 'should') for small prices, but to generally only play big pots with the goods.

The average B&Mer is just aware of my VPIP, but very few seem to catch on to the latter part. IMO its a net +EV, since I will get the action I want on my legit hands, and am able to keep people from pegging my inherent tightness as quickly.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tell them to STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disaggree, dont even give them the satisfaction that their neddling has gotten to you. Ignore them, give the impression that you care so little of their opinions that its doesnt matter what they say to you.

They'd love for you to say STFU and then sulk at the table while they all smile at each other.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tell them to STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disaggree, dont even give them the satisfaction that their neddling has gotten to you. Ignore them, give the impression that you care so little of their opinions that its doesnt matter what they say to you.

They'd love for you to say STFU and then sulk at the table while they all smile at each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said nothing about sulking at the table. I guess we are all different but I put up with no [censored] comments and I would tell them exactly where to go.

The thing is to not let it affect how you play from there on. If you commenting is likely to make you tilt then I agree. However carry on playing your normal game, assuming it is a winning one, and pocket their money. But don't let people walk over you. It is bothering you so I still say tell them to STFU.