Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Re: College Kid Debating about MBA Program

[ QUOTE ]

So if I don’t do this program, what are your thoughts on getting a double major in finance and accounting based on my career goals? I could graduate in 3 ½ year and travel for 6 months or get the double major in 4 years. If I get the double major, I’ll have a lot less of a chance to travel for an extended period. I definitely want to go to the Australian Open for tennis and as a byproduct the Aussie Millions as they fall around the same time in January. I highly doubt I would be able to do this if I get the double major. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Double major. Work for a few years and if and when you're ready (you'll know) get the MBA.

That is the smart play but you're young so if you went to Australia for fun; well nows the time to make the slightly less than smart plays which you look back on after a few decades with a smile. I can't say whether or not the second major would matter for you, in most cases it doesn't but it clearly can't hurt.

Good to see you're not doing a 3/2 MBA.

J
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: College Kid Debating about MBA Program

Tripster:

One observation - you are all over the place - what do you want to actually do? Trading is at the opposite end of the fiancial universe compared to wealth management.

1. Never believe the college rankings they are mostly crap - what you really care about is what firms interview on campus in the sectors that you care about.

2. I always thought that IU was better with Corporations rather than financial institutions. I'm sure the big IBs all recruit there but what are they recruiting for - back office?

3. 5 yr MBA programs are generally a bad move - when I was a corp fin analyst for a major IB - we had a 1st year associate from one of these programs and he washed out - he couldn't handle the job or the pressure at his age. Get some work experience.

4. Get your grades up and get some relevant work experience. 3.4 may not make the cut for the better jobs unless you have great work experience.

5. Travel during the summer after your senior year then get a job. Its very rough to get back in the job flow after taking a year off.