Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Default I can\'t beat 25nl, HELP!

I'm running at -6.75 bb/100 over 6,000 hands. I know this isn't many hands but I know I'm doing things very wrong.

My stats are 26/18 and I thought this was ideal according to Aba. But I'm just not seeing the results.

Is there something I am missing? Or is this just a bad downswing. It's very frustrating because if I can't beat NL 25, what can I beat?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: I can\'t beat 25nl, HELP!

Check your positional stats. Ideally you should be playing the least amount of hands from UTG and the most from the Button. If all these % are about even then you're playing too many hands out of position. NL25 is all about playing ABC poker - maybe you're trying to over complicate it with fancy plays?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM

I just took a deeper look into my db. My positional stats are ok. However, my biggest losers are KK and QQ. Most of the time I play these hands I either win a small pot uncontested or someone has AA and we get it all in pre.

How do I avoid this?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM

There is no "ideal" stlye. There is only an ideal style that matches with your skills. If feel that you cant beat nl25 26/18 is not the ideal style for you. A style like that requires very good postflop and handreading skills. Without knowing anything about you, you dont have these.

Since ever I play poker I run at something like 15/11 and consider my poker play at successful (not talking about tilt or bankrollmanagement, which is why im busto). You can make money at these games with almost any style, as long as its consistent with what you know about poker and your game. 26/18 is designed to push and exploit every sklansky cent that is out there; you want to BEAT THE GAME. For no matter how much, as long as you beat it.

I dont know why I even bother to write that much , you are giving us very little information. Try posting a screeny of all your stats, maybe there is something outstanding that we could tell you about.

summary: Dont try to adpot styles that dont suit you. Trying to copy a style THAT ALL YOU KNOW ABOUT ARE TWO NUMBERS is not the way to go. If poker was reduced to two numbers ... well, you know...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 PM

It's really silly to avoid getting all-in PF with KK/QQ at $25NL. You will make plenty in the long run at this level.

As for 26/18... that might be a little loose if you aren't a great player yet. Also, it looks like you might be calling a little too often. My suggestion would be to tighten up just a bit. I like to see the VP$IP and PFR numbers a little closer.

Also, instead of posting a thread like this (it's pretty much useless and might get locked), try posting some hands you have difficulty with. If it's a general scenario, take a look at the stickies in both uNL and SSNL. Search. Read. Post. THINK.

If you are truly dedicated, you'll be demolishing 25NL in no time.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My stats are 26/18 and I thought this was ideal according to Aba. But I'm just not seeing the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

IDEAL FOR WHAT SITUATION???
I think you are too concerned about YOUR style rather than your opponents. You opponents dictate your style. If they are tight nits...you are aggressive. If they are aggressive you lay back a little bit and wait for a good spot. BUSTO= trying to force your style into a situation where it will not work.

Identify the way people are playing and adjust your play to each individual.
Don't worry about fitting into 'numbers' just win $$$.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:46 PM

There isn't much room for creativity at the micro-stakes. Generally speaking you'll encounter tthree types of players.

1) Fish - pay any price to chase their flush but know when their hand down
2) Rocks - Read a poker book and plays textbook hands, but passively
3) Donks - hyper aggressive and seemingly irrational players

In addition to checking your PT stats and adjusting them accordingly to more TAG abc poker style, TABLE SELECTION plays an important role.
Occasionally you'll sit down at the table with another TAG (possibly a fellow 2p2er) but for the most part, the players across from you will fall into those three catagories.

When it comes to selecting your table, PLAY with the fish. You can charge them heavily to chase and they will mostly just call you down and fold the river if they don't hit. You want to AVOID the rocks, because they don't showdown light, and you will rarely get paid off on your hands. Finally, The Donks... When it comes to the donks, you have to be willing to be patient. I know it's tempting loosen up when a maniac is at the table, but don't; that's what he wants you to do.

The moral of the story is: select your tables so that you can maximize your potential value AND play Tight and Aggressive. You can't go wrong.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Thanks for all the great advice.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Are you trying to play like aba? that could be the problem lol. Anyway when I'm looking for problems in my game the first place I look is definitely NOT stats.

Review hands histories
Review hands histories
Review hands histories
Review hands histories
Review hands histories

See where you think you're spewing, overvaluing hands, missings out on value etc. etc. etc.

How is your hand reading? What type of players are you losing the most to? Maybe calling down too lightly from laggish opponents? trying to push people off hands? Calling too many raises with trash OOP? You'll have to do some serious homework to find out your leaks.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:23 PM

Post some hands mate, stats are meaningless, you could really suck postflop. To be honest, I think you are too loose for 25nl and you should tighten up. Also, 6k hands is nothing.

Post some hands!
Closed Thread