Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 AM

Default 2NL - 52s in BB, blocking bets, fd

Villain was 79/14/3.23 after 68. I just joined the table after having left it awhile ago. No specific reads on this guy.

Were these a good example of blocking bets? Would you have done the same?

What do you do on the end here and why?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.02 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG ($.84)
MP ($4.46)
CO ($1.75)
Button ($1)
SB ($2.01)
Hero ($2)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.02, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.08) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.04</font>, MP calls $0.04, Button folds, SB calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.20) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.04</font>, MP calls $0.04, SB calls $0.04.

River: ($0.32) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.92</font>, SB folds, Hero...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: 2NL - 52s in BB, blocking bets, fd

PREFLOP: duh.

FLOP: I hate your bet. It will win the pot approximately never, so it doesn't work as a bluff. You only have a weak draw, why are you putting money in the pot here? I'd check and call up to a pot-size bet.

TURN: See flop. And if you're going to bet, betting 1/5 pot is ridiculous and will accomplish nothing other than increasing the money you're putting in on a draw. A check here will probably get a free river card, whereas the bet will pretty much never win the pot outright.

RIVER: I don't like this bet, either. SB and MP have been playing like they have draws, so chances are you're up against at least one flush. When MP hits the "Bet pot" button, after having shown no aggression at any point in the play of the hand, I have to conclude that he's hit his draw. And in this case, that means HERO's beat at least 2/3 of the time. Therefore, this is a fold. Villain could have a set of nines, a backdoor straight, an overpair, 43dd, garbage, or something else weird. At these stakes, people play weird. But these will happen a lot less than 1/3 of the time. But all indications are that he's hit a flush and is betting for value. Since HERO only beats one flush, HERO must fold here.

EDIT: Just noticed that you asked about blocking bets. A blocking bet is a bet used to see another card cheaply by discouraging your opponents from betting a large amount. I don't think your flop and turn bets are good blocking bets, because players at uNL are generally passive, and so you can get cards even cheaper by checking. And if any VILLAIN had a hand they would bet if checked to (sets, overpairs, TPGK, mainly) they'll just come over top of your "blocking" bets.

So in conclusion, I don't think blocking bets are a good idea here at all since they won't give HERO a chance to see more cards on the cheap. And at uNL in general, I rarely see the need to use them at all. Bet for value, bet when you sense weakness, and take down pots. When you want to see more cards, checking is generally the cheapest way possible, imo.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 AM

suppose you had Kd3d instead. How would you play the flop and turn?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 AM

I check all streets here. I would only bet the flop in position, but since I won't be playing this from any position except the BB, the only time I would bet here is in a blind vs blind match. And then I would bet $0.6. I think half pot bets just look too weak.

But if we had Kd3d I would still not bet, since villain stats suggest he is a total maniak and it's very, very difficult to play draws OOP against this type of opponent. If he gives us the odds, I'll call. Otherwise fold. In position is a different story, but let's not discuss that here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]