Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Punished for Doing Their Job (U.S. Border Agents)

I have begun to hear more and more on talk radio on this case. Two border guards shot a Mexican drug smuggler (in the buttocks) and are now spending time 12 years in jail. These men have young children and were protecting our country. Bottom line:

Mexican Drug Smuggler, given immunity to testify, border guards jailed!

I have heard no good arguments about why these guys should be there, even from politicians. There is now news coming out that misleading statements have been made by federal agencies including Homeland Security.

Here is the petition to free the border agents, Congressmen are starting to put the heat on the President, as well as the public.

http://www.grassfire.org/

For Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean, two U.S. Border Agents who took an oath to protect our border, doing their jobs has cost them their freedom and placed a desperate emotional and financial strain on their families.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/artman...cle_4439.shtml

U.S. retracts statements that agents were out `to shoot Mexicans'

Lawmakers urge Bush to pardon ex-agents

Ramos attacked in prison
Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Punished for Doing Their Job (U.S. Border Agents)

From what I have heard they didn't know that the guy was smuggling drugs and shot at him while he was running and then tried to cover it up. Border patrol agents do an important job but if they break the law then they have to suffer the consequences. I don't know enough about the case to make a judgment, but I'm sure its not as cut and dry as you seem to be trying to make it out to be.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know enough about the case to make a judgment, but I'm sure its not as cut and dry as you seem to be trying to make it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, the only things I have heard are talk show (TV/radio) and newspaper articles about it and have not heard any good reasons floated, I was hoping to hear the other side. The story is starting to gain momentum and trying to learn more about it.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I have heard they didn't know that the guy was smuggling drugs and shot at him while he was running and then tried to cover it up. Border patrol agents do an important job but if they break the law then they have to suffer the consequences. I don't know enough about the case to make a judgment, but I'm sure its not as cut and dry as you seem to be trying to make it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my kinda my understanding as well.

It's a talk radio white wash as far as I can tell. Maybe they got a sentence that was a little harsh but they f-ed up and need to pay.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my kinda my understanding as well.

It's a talk radio white wash as far as I can tell. Maybe they got a sentence that was a little harsh but they f-ed up and need to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is bizarre. Didn't expect that from you. I've heard both sides, and I don't think anything is clear cut. I'm entirely unconvinced this was some attempt to kill the guy and cover it up. Reasonable doubt ftw.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 PM

These guys shot somebody in the back as he was running away unarmed, then they tried to cover it up at the scene, and then they lied about it. I don't see how anyone could think they deserve praise rather than punishment.

I am not directing this statement at you, ugly.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 PM

I think they should be shot in the buttocks by the prison guards.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These guys shot somebody in the back as he was running away unarmed, then they tried to cover it up at the scene, and then they lied about it. I don't see how anyone could think they deserve praise rather than punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This reminds of people who defended the cops who beat down Rodney King.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know enough about the case to make a judgment, but I'm sure its not as cut and dry as you seem to be trying to make it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, the only things I have heard are talk show (TV/radio) and newspaper articles about it and have not heard any good reasons floated, I was hoping to hear the other side. The story is starting to gain momentum and trying to learn more about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I misunderstood your tone. Also, you have to consider that Bush isn't pardoning these guys. I would imagine he would be first lining up to let them out if there wasn't good reason to have prosecuted them. I get a little bent when I hear the "they were protecting us and now they are in jail" argument.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 PM

They were offered a favorable plea deal, they turned it down, DoJ threw the book at them and they were found guilty by a jury.

Where's the beef?