Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: 5 rebuy pf spot vs. Roothlus

[ QUOTE ]
reraise you are a late position raiser roothlus is a top player he could be restealing w a variety of hands, this is not a bad spot you are in this is a positive ev situatuion to get your chips in. callingallows you to be outplyed folding is absurd

[/ QUOTE ]

4betting here is awful, with these stack sizes and blind level roothlus is not r/r with a very wide range and we have odds/are deep enough to call for set value.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 PM

I would call and play a flop in position -- I'd expect to call a continuation bet on most boards and re-evaluate the turn (often folding to a second barrel unimproved), but how you play it post flop depends so much on the board texture and action.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:38 AM

[quote

Why is calling bad? It just doesn't make any sense to re-raise, it makes him to correctly play with many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

calling reduces YOUR probability of playing correctly.ok call see over cards and let him outmuscle you and take your chips. or even better fold and let him run all over you. if you aren't going to defend w 10-10 what are you defending with? IF HE PLAYS CORRECTLY AND FOLDS YOU WIN A NICE POT. IF HE SHOVES W AQ AK YOU ARE STILL AHEAD. so there are exactly 4 hands that are a problem .4! i can't play scared of 4 hands. i would like to hear from bond or shaundeeb or some of the other vets on this one. if you call you know you are on defense the whole hand unless you flop a set.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Calling is not good. It means we are getting very thin odds to hit our set, and Roothlus needs to pay us off entirely every time we hit it, which isnt super likely.

Shoving is acceptable, as is Folding. Folding TT to a 3bet sucks, and we would NEVER fold it face up. If people know we will fold TT to a 3bet its highly exploitable. If we are really quite sure we are behind to the 3better tho, its perfectly acceptable. I fold TT to a 3bet from a nit, from someone who has folded the last 40-50 hands, or someone who is visibly shaking they are so excited to get it all in live.

This IS NOT that case. We have a player who *knows* we give him credit. We are in late position. Our villain knows we are likely to steal from this spot. Our villain covers us. He knows he is pricing it so that we cant call for a set. He is highly likely to be setting us up. I push.

4Card
Old 08-26-2007, 12:40 PM

we've got position, i'm not calling just for set value. its a value call.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:28 PM

call for set and gutshot+ value, I usually call here and get it in any flop I have 6+ outs except maybe KQ9 still get it in on a KJ9 board.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call for set and gutshot+ value, I usually call here and get it in any flop I have 6+ outs except maybe KQ9 still get it in on a KJ9 board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaun ur the only one to address this idea(unless i have overlooked it) as opposed to peeling/giving up.

How often will i flop something with 6+ outs? Also, how often will the flop come low enough to call one bet?

I realize i should know how to do these things in pokerstove already, but unfortunately i don't and would rly appreciate any help
Old 08-26-2007, 05:51 PM

I would push this preflop versus a lot of players. Roothlus has a reputation for being a nit, and he is expecting loose action at this stage of the 5r, so I would expect he probably has JJ+, AK.

If you flat call, you obviously can't fold every time you miss a set. You generally want to get it in of an OESD and maybe on a gutshot. On a low flop, you want to get a read. If you think villain has high cards, you don't have to fold.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM

I was thinking about this hand today and thought that re-raising was probably the right move. My reasoning is that we are out of the rebuy period and play generally tightens up at this point as peoples tournament lives are now at risk. I have never played against roothlus but I have heard he is a good player so he could be re-raising us with a wider range of hands than what betgo said. Maybe something like 77 plus AJs plus. (foreign keyboard) If we put in the third raise it represents a big hand something like AA KK or QQ, which means he is probably folding everything up to and sometimes including QQ, and AQ. Even if he does have AK and flat calls our third raise and an ace or K flops he may not call a shove and be willing to cripple himself with top pair. Plus alot of the time Aces or K arnt going to flop and we can most of the time either take it away on the flop or check behind on the flop and try to take it away on the turn. I do like betgos line of just shoving but I thought stack sizes might be to big for that. Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we put in the third raise it represents a big hand something like AA KK or QQ, which means he is probably folding everything up to and sometimes including QQ, and AQ. Even if he does have AK and flat calls our third raise and an ace or K flops he may not call a shove and be willing to cripple himself with top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty for replying, i keep checking fairly often since it is kinda buggin me....

I just dont think Roothlus would ever fold often enough in the two spots you describe here. As far as moving him of JJ i think this is suicide.The possiblity of him folding tptk in a 4bet pot seems to be wishful thinking at best given the size the pot would be on the flop. Plus he acts first.

I considered 4 betting.
This left me with a few decisions to consider:
1) How much do i make it?

2) Am i committed to calling if he shoves?