Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 AM

Default TT on BB. Family pot. What do you do?

Table is very loose and passive (6 max). Several limpers in just about every pot. What do you do in this situation? I know this situation doesnt come up very often, but I'd like your view on it.

Is this a no-brainer value raise or should you avoid bloating the pot preflop in case you need to protect from then onwards?

UB 0.5/1 (6 max)
Hero has T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB.

UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero ??
Old 03-28-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: TT on BB. Family pot. What do you do?

LOL

I'd raise if I know that I won't feel obliged to c-bet a really ugly flop. Basically: Play for set value and the chance you flop an OP (or at least a Jxx flop). I think that's worth a raise pf but it's probably thin.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Raise for value.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 AM

I'd raise you hands is better than all the people who limped in. So at this moment you are ahead, to increase you chances of winning raise it up and hopefully knock some people out.

Plus if you raise your opponents won't know what you have, they could think you have a pair of aces, so if one pops up on the flop and you bet they might be scared off.

if the flop comes down with all cards lower than 10 then you will be wishing you had raised. If it comes down with higher cards then you have to be concerned, although I would probably still bet anyway, they have all limped in, they probably haven't got good hands unless they are slow playing.

Also if a 10 comes down on the flop they will never put you on it after you have raised preflop.

The reason you bet is to get more money in the middle for you to win when you have a good hand. The more betting and calling that goes on the more money you win when you hand is good.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if the flop comes down with all cards lower than 10 then you will be wishing you had raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? If you raise preflop and flop is all low cards, all villains with overcards have odds to draw to spike their OC's. If you just check preflop they will be making a mistake to draw, right?

I was thinking this is an obvious raise, but I'm not that sure anymore.

How about reverse implied odds in a situation like this? With 5 villains and with Hero holding TT any overcard is a potential killer card, while Hero only has two cards to improve.

Somewhere way deep in my cortex I vaguely remember Sklansky writing something about these kinds of scenarios. Guess I need to start re-reading some litterature.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:14 AM

If you build it they will come

(Raise)
Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 AM

You could very well have the best hand pre-flop so raise. Play poker.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 PM

Raises. And it's not even close for me.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if the flop comes down with all cards lower than 10 then you will be wishing you had raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? If you raise preflop and flop is all low cards, all villains with overcards have odds to draw to spike their OC's. If you just check preflop they will be making a mistake to draw, right?

I was thinking this is an obvious raise, but I'm not that sure anymore.

How about reverse implied odds in a situation like this? With 5 villains and with Hero holding TT any overcard is a potential killer card, while Hero only has two cards to improve.

Somewhere way deep in my cortex I vaguely remember Sklansky writing something about these kinds of scenarios. Guess I need to start re-reading some litterature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was in Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players (if I remember right). In this situation, he advised against the line of thinking of not raising to prevent people from having pot odds to draw. Get your money in while you have the best of it.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raise for value