Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: BD\'s 15 Worst Franchises in Sports

Patriots and Yankees should also be on this list.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Florida Marlins are one of the most profitable and successful organizations ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Lame FYP, but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Id be profitable too if i spent $10 per year on the roster. Fans don't care about success, which the Marlins have had, but it has been luck, nothing more. Do not expect to much more success from a Loria owned team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making the playoffs twice in the past 10 years is an accomplishment that most teams have failed to achieve.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The selection of Mario Williams over Reggie Bush AND Vince Young was just the latest and greatest draft day fiasco from these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Williams will probably turn out to be the better choice in the long run. GMs are learning that RBs are replaceable commodities and they don't warrant #1 overall money. Guys like Marshall Faulk and Shaun Alexander were traded or shopped around for 2nd round draft picks in their prime and they had smaller contracts than Bush. The last RB taken #1 overall was Ki-Jana Carter back in '95 IIRC.

Texans may have screwed up by not trading down, but if they couldn't trade down, I think Williams was a better pick than Bush(though Leinart may have been better still).
Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 AM

Jeff W,

I was just about to make that post.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
9ers made the playoffs in 2002 with a 10-6 record. They then gutted their offensive unit. They have now gutted their team but I'm pretty sure their nowhere near as bad as some of the other teams in the league. Yes over the last 3 years they've been awful but before that they had multiple pro bowlers who of course are old now. This is what happens when during 1 off season, you not only decide to get rid of your All-Pro Receiver but your Pro Bowl Quarterback on top of your top running back being let go. They were very stupid to do that, but obviously they are rebuilding.

They are now just working on the offense. They let go of their best defensive player, Peterson, who is one of the best OLBs in the league. They let him go due to money issues. The team wants to get under the cap after being in cap hell for years. In the next coming years we can finally sign FAs and we are starting to draft well. Last year we drafted exceptionally I think with Gore and Smith. This year Davis has been hurt but really helps the O spread the field and Lawson is starting to learn the D (he played DE in college and is now an OLB). The team has a long way to go, but we are atleast moving somewhere. We have a Core of 3 soon to be "stars (I hope atleast)" in Smith, Gore and Davis on the O, and the team must work on D through the draft and FA. This is how the Cowboys built up a long time ago and how the Colts, Chargers, etc. built up. It just takes time. The 9ers are starting to have a core. Maybe not as good as the Cardinal one but they are moving in some sort of direction.

Smith is only 22 and Gore is 23. Smith is starting to actually look good this year and has gotten a ton better with Turner as the OC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the niners used to be the best run franchise in the nfl, if not all of professional sports. The new ownership has driven this franchise into the ground. The San Francisco franchise is a shell of what it used to be.

Alex Smith and Gore are nice picks from last year, but what about Rumph, Carter, Woods, etc. They've had some very poor drafts and made many bad personell decisions.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:51 PM

I am still stunned that people are responding to this awful post.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:06 PM

I know it has. Did I not admit that? They've done good things lately, I still don't think they are a top 15 worst franchise out of 90 or so teams in those 3 leagues especially considering their history. They might be one of the crappiest franchises over the last 3 years but come on they're a lot worse situations in professional sports.

These teams come to mind, and if your going to look at their futurfe, I don't see how you can be so critical of the niners when some people are being very favorable to the Arizona Cardinals who have won what 1 playoff game in their history.

The 9ers had a crappy GM on top of they just had a crappy coach in Erickson. As I stated earlier, the team rebuilt quickly, I mean very quickly after they got rid of Seifert. They lost Young, Hearst and Rice. Within 1 year after the 12-4 Year, we were 4-12. 2 years later we won 12 games. Then again we gutted the team e/c now we didn't have a D and we lost all of our quality players.

I know the organization isn't that great any more. I definitely blame York but I think their moving in the right direction. The team is extremely young at the skill offensive positions and can only get better.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am still stunned that people are responding to this awful post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Tampa Bay Lightning are one of the worst run organizations ever, but no one has noticed because they got lucky, once.

[/ QUOTE ]