Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Default $5 NL AK vs shortie ep raise

I always 3bet AK in position over a standard 3x or 4x pfr. In this case UTG+1 is short with only 38 BB.

UTG+1 hasn't done anything remarkable to this point. He bought in short and has lost some of that. He's passive and calls preflop and this is his first preflop raise. So he's not to this point making spaz preflop raises with KJ or such.

I think he has some kind of a real hand here because he's been passive. Although I don't think his range is limited to KK-AA. Given it's $5 NL and he's short I can't give him too much credit here. I'd guess his opening range consists of JJ-AA, AQ-AK. Although sometimes shorties at this level seem to 'snap' after a while and just pick some weird hand to toss off the last of their short stack.

If I 3bet him to $0.60 then I feel I have to call if he shoves. Also if he just calls the 3bet then he's pot committed and I feel I have to either call an all in on the flop or put him all in.

I guess my question is should I want to play for shortie's stack with AK. Any preflop play better than 3betting.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 ($1.90)
MP1 ($10.52)
MP2 ($13.64)
Hero ($5.62)
CO ($5.21)
Button ($14.71)
SB ($4.42)
BB ($8.56)
UTG ($4.95)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $0.20</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...</font>
Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: $5 NL AK vs shortie ep raise

[ QUOTE ]
I'd guess his opening range consists of JJ-AA, AQ-AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt it. But even if that is his range you should push pre. You are a favorite over this range by a hair if you see all 5 cards. Add to that a certian non-zero ammound of fold equity you have, plus the dead money in the pot already, and this is a clear shove.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd guess his opening range consists of JJ-AA, AQ-AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt it. But even if that is his range you should push pre. You are a favorite over this range by a hair if you see all 5 cards. Add to that a certian non-zero ammound of fold equity you have, plus the dead money in the pot already, and this is a clear shove.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm a bit concerned about shoving AK. There are still a number of full stacks to act who can call me with a big hand. I don't really mind getting someone all in for 38 BB preflop with AK, but I'm not really happy to be all in myself for 112 BB with AK. If I 3bet to $0.60 can I fold to a 4bet shove for the rest of my stack vs an unknown.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM

Well that's true, I was thinking 6max.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 PM

I still 3-bet here. I'm having a hard time figuring out a good size though. Let's just say you 3-bet to .85. If he calls, post flop pot will be $1.77. He will have $1.05 left. Since he is pretty passive, if he donks allin on the flop, I think you can safely fold. If he doesn't, you only have to risk $1.05 to win $1.77 on your c-bet.

I'm not sure if that is the best pf raise size though.

Advantages to betting less pf:
- You might be able to get away from the hand pf if he pushes
- ?

Advantages to betting more pf:
- You risk less to win more on your c-bet
- Less likely someone else is going to come along
- Less likely he's going to call, thus immediate profit

This thread has motivated me to learn more about playing against short stacks.

I'd really like some more discussion on this. I feel pretty clueless here, but I gave it a shot.