Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Default BB Defense Range Based on Limits (or Villian Attempt to Steal %)

I've been away from this board for a while (NL hiatus) and since I have been back mostly lurking (lurking since the noise to content ratio seems to have greatly improved since I left - basically I don't have much to add to what the excellent posters here already say).

One thing that seems to have changed since I used to be here is that in general people have loosened up when defending their blinds. Maybe I'm just not remembering right, but I did check the FAQ and Wookie's stat post list a goal of 60-70% for fold BB to a steal. I've seen a couple stat posts lately where the poster was around 50 and people told him he was way too tight in the BB.

I'm a little curious about this and wonder if some of it has to do with the experts here playing at higher limits where the games are more aggresive. Since moving back from NL I started low and am working my way up wanting to play at least 10K at each level as I move up. I started at .25/.5, currently at 0.5/1 and almost ready to move to 1/2. I've been doing well (pretty fishy at these limts) but my fold BB to a steal was in the 70% range for 0.25/0.5 and now in the 60% range for 0.5/1. From what I have been reading that is way too high, but I'm questioning that a little. I'm guessing the recommendations to defend a lot more are coming from people that play in games where stealing 40% of the time is the norm.

I did a quick pokertracker study and my sample size isn't huge, but the majority of the people at this level don't steal nearly enough. Of the people that I have 100 hands on 40% steal less than 10% of the time and 60% steal less than 20% of the time. The average steal percentage was 17%. There are a few TAG types out there, but they aren't common at this level.

So I guess in summary my main question is am I too much of a nit in the BB if my Fold BB to a steal is 65% given the people I am playing against aren't stealing nearly enough?

For a secondary question it seems like it would be possible to assign an ideal range to defend for a given villian's attempt to steal %. Something like if they steal 10% we defend with 25%, 20% defend with 35% etc. Are there posts etc that address this? It seems like maybe Stox's book has something like that, I'm rereading at the moment and haven't found it yet though. Any thoughts?