Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Ring vs Tournament differences

Yes, one has to definitely make certain adjustments here and there from a tournament style of play to a ring table. Being a LAG player is very essential to be a profitable ring player online. However, it is only sometimes. I believe one must be both a TAG player and a LAG player depending on the situation of the game.

In general, especially for a starting player (including myself), I believe we should start from being a TAG player. Yes, patience is key, but it's not just about getting the right hole cards to start playing. We have to understand the importance of position (EP playing less hands than would normally play on BTN, etc), stack sizes (to call a raise with low-mid PP if the call is ~8% of the essential stack size and ~10% if it's a multiway pot), knowing how to raise preflop and when/how to reraise (if raising preflop, always raise 4xBB + 1BB per limper, and if you have a premium hand, reraise someone's raise by about x3 and times an extra number per caller before you), and so much more. I've only touched preflop (and very generally described). Postflop plays are obviously equally important but knowing how to play ring games optimally is quite impossible to answer in one response (due to obvious reasons).

If I haven't mentioned already, I am also a beginner. I have recently (a few weeks ago) started playing cash online at PokerStars (2NLHE) and so far I have been steadily increasing my bankroll (+6BB/100) to soon be able to move on up to my next level goal (5NLHE). A particular part of this forum has (and is currently still) helped me out tremendously. Check it out, I'm sure you will benefit without a doubt. But of course, this is only the beginning. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post3239210