Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Is it unethical to look if someone tips their hole cards?

Because I'm a regular kind of guy, I'll give two warnings to the leaker. First, a quiet warning so as not to embarrass the person. Then, I'll say it loud enough for the table to hear, so everyone at least knows it's happening. After that, fair game.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM

One time at the borgata and guy to my right would peek his cards in my line of sight every hand, so every hand I was isolating him with ATC. Unethical? Yes.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:31 PM

Andy B has it right (as usual). The critical differentiator here (and in your own words) is "purposely" looking. It is unethical to purposefully look/trying to see others cards. If you happen to see them because the player doesn't protect his hand it's fair game ... but you should warn them to protect their hand. It's pretty straightforward.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:44 PM

I think most of the people here would at least tell the person once that he is flashing his cards.

An interesting related dilema - cards get flashed to you during the play of a hand in which you are involved - do you use the information? Do you fold a worse hand you would have called with, or value bet or raise a better hand that you would not have without knowing the opponents hole cards?
Old 10-13-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I'm a regular kind of guy, I'll give two warnings to the leaker. First, a quiet warning so as not to embarrass the person. Then, I'll say it loud enough for the table to hear, so everyone at least knows it's happening. After that, fair game.

[/ QUOTE ]

im a two warning kind of guy as well, after that you are on your own...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:09 PM

This has happened many times to me, and as someone said the natural answer is ''what do you think? or take a look'' I warn them and then I will try not to look but who am I kidding curiosity can get to us and Ill catch myself glancing. At least toss the warn out and if someone makes a comment you can say I know I told them already
Old 10-13-2006, 04:28 PM

I tell them once, if they keep doing it then I'll look.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 PM

For all of this discussion, I'm assuming that you do not strain or bend around to get a peek at the cards. That's unethical, though you are responsible to protect yourself. If you can sit normally and get a peak, my answer is: It depends on the game you're playing. If it's low limit, give them a break. Let them know that they're getting a little careless with their cards. Don't intentionally look if they keep doing it.

If you're playing higher stakes against people who should know better, then I say warn them once and that's it. Look at the hand every time. It's harsh, but that's the way it is. If you don't like the person tipping their cards, then don't warn them.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:25 PM

I think that you shouldn't try and peek. If someone is making it easy enought to see without me trying fair game. There are some players that consistantly try and look at poeple's cards and this really bothers me. Not only is this unethical but it [censored] up my action sometimes.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The majority of respondents will tell you to go ahead and look, but they will be wrong. Looking at the other guy's hole cards is unethical. The issue is that you can use information to which you are not entitled against the other players, and it's not their fault that he won't protect his hand. I warn people every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you warn the dealer if you're able to frontload off them too. Kind of the same thing...

It's not unethical if you're not trying to see the cards. But, I do agree, that if you see it, you should tell the guy to watch his cards.

Going out of your way to see his hole cards is pretty bad.

However, you also shouldn't have to go out of your way to not see them. Sometimes I have to as I tend to watch the areas around peoples (literal)hands alot. Personally, I'd rather not have the info. Well, unless the guy's an A-hole. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b