Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 02:51 AM

Default LIMIT CASH - 85s hand, early in session with unknown

Villain is unknown, but seems pretty solid after the first few minutes of play.

PokerStars $5/$10 Limit Hold'em - 2 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#FF0000">SB/Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.00 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#FF0000">SB/Button bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#FF0000">SB/Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.00 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">SB/Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.00 BB

I thought this was an easy call down, but rudeboyoi (Who I feel is a better HU / 3 handed player than me) was sweating me and told me to fold, so I did, lol?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: LIMIT CASH - 85s hand, early in session with unknown

this is a really bad fold imo. Especially when you donk the turn. If you capped flop and bet the turn i'd STILL call down. Do you know what people with a hand like 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] here?

If you never folded flopped top pair in HULHE you would show a huge profit with it.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 AM

Don't bet the turn. Check/call to lose the least when behind and to induce bluffs when ahead.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 AM

i like c/c c/c here too

it gets us to showdown cheaper and
lets us take a note on the villian

but given the turn donk
i prefer a fold here

we are effectively getting 9:2 on our money here

in his eyes our flop c/r says we could have a 6 here
and our turn donk maybe a setup to b/3b him with a 6

but it also says we think hes on a flushdraw and
want to prevent him from checking back the turn

which can give him an oppurtunity to play back at us

he could also have a better 8 or an overpair
that we are also currently behind

so basically a better 8, a 6, an overpair vs a play
Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 AM

I am not a limit player but C/C C/C seems to make sense to me.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:26 AM

MUCH rather cap the flop and lead the turn than call and donk. When you cap the flop he will often call down with any UI big cards he got stupid with on the flop (cuz some ppl can only have a flushdraw or two pair when they cap the flop here). He will also sometimes continue to get wild with a draw himself hoping to god that you are on a draw too, so be prepared to showdown.

Of course if all of this makes you uneasy then just calling down from the flop 3-bet is ok too.

Problem with calling 3b and donking is that you no longer rep anything but a weak made hand or a dumbly played draw so you'll see some fsdr's and other stuff you don't wanna see. This is why b/3b with a 6 can be a sweet play here.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Dude, that's ugly. Pretty much you should never take this line with a pair or any kind of weak made hand (except for balance). This is pretty much asking to be bluffed. On the other hand, the next time you have a big hand you can b/3b the turn assuming you get the chance.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MUCH rather cap the flop and lead the turn than call and donk. When you cap the flop he will often call down with any UI big cards he got stupid with on the flop (cuz some ppl can only have a flushdraw or two pair when they cap the flop here). He will also sometimes continue to get wild with a draw himself hoping to god that you are on a draw too, so be prepared to showdown.

Of course if all of this makes you uneasy then just calling down from the flop 3-bet is ok too.

Problem with calling 3b and donking is that you no longer rep anything but a weak made hand or a dumbly played draw so you'll see some fsdr's and other stuff you don't wanna see. This is why b/3b with a 6 can be a sweet play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So there are two ways to profitably play this hand: call his 3 bet and c/c turn and river. Or cap flop bet turn and river. If he raises turn, you go c/c river. If he calls turn, you bet river. Am I right? You meant that? Which line is better in the long run?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So there are two ways to profitably play this hand: call his 3 bet and c/c turn and river. Or cap flop bet turn and river. If he raises turn, you go c/c river. If he calls turn, you bet river. Am I right? You meant that? Which line is better in the long run?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's basically what i was saying (except i'd wait and see what the turn+river bring before I decide what I'm doing on the river).

I think you should have both plays in your arsenal and tend towards the passive one until you get a read that the aggro one might be appropriate.

im really not all that good so if somebody better than me feels like posting...