Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 05:01 AM

Default NLTRN limping from the button?

I am playing 10$ HU SNG regularly and I am showing a nice profit. I am somewhat nervous about going higher, but I have been taking staps as well as watching others play.

My prefered style of play is taking down a lot of small pots and I generally prefer not playing big pots since I feel I don't need to take coinflips against worse opponents.

At the higher buy ins, my edge won't be as high as in the 10's and I get the feeling that limping from the button is generally a very bad idea and that I should adopt a fold or raise attitude. Does limping just invite opponents to attack (which of course could be a good thing)? How about min. bets preflop (especially on the lower levels), useful for building pots with pos or just lame because they offer excellent pot odds?

I know this is a rather general question, but I do get the feeling that most 2+2'er ppl adhere to the "always" raise from the button rule.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Re: NLTRN limping from the button?

I'm a n00b myself but I'll try to answer:

Raise/fold should be your standard play I think. You should really try to find out right off the bat if your opponent is able to fold. So play raise/fold initially and if you get called a lot and they don't fold to your c-bets then adapt. Against overly aggressive opponents who like to donk-bet pot-sized bets after I raise them preflop, I will tighten up my raising range a bit but still play raise/fold poker. Against opponents who just like to call a lot, I will start limping a lot of decent hand and raise my better than average hands like any Ace, most Kings and Queens, and medium connectors like 89 or better, and any pair. I'll limp potential prospects like most suited cards and lower connects, and fold terrible hands like your offsuit 8-gappers (ie T2o).

Really when you play raise/fold, you add an additional way to win every pot you play, which is that they fold preflop. And you want to c-bet a lot and you will take down a lot of pots. If not, the adapt obv.

About minraising : minraising is terrible, don't do it unless you're playing someone who is weaktight who will fold to your minraises a lot. I still don't like it anyway. I absolutely love it when people minraise me, I call with 53s and the flop comes A 2 4 and I stack them with their AK.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 PM

Raise a wide range in position / Call or raise a tight range oop

You need to be making your opponents play raised pots oop. Fire a lot of cbets. Don't worry about short term results if you are missing and they are playing back at you.

My button raising range in the first level is Ax/Kx/Q4s+/J5s+/106s+/96s+/86/any pair, basically more than 50% of the hands. You can loosen/tighten your range against certain types of opponents, but I think the minimum you should be raising the button is 35%. Obviously tighten up as the blinds increase.

I like to start mixing in a few limps in the 15/30 level also to see if villain is going to be raising all of my limps or not before we get to 25/50 and it costs me more. Also, limping is fine when you or villain's stack size is in the 15-30 bb range.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:17 PM

basic - sticky