Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 PM

Default \"I Check / Raise In the Dark.\" Is the Raise Binding?

What's the proper ruling here?

We've all seen players check in the dark. But if you announce, "I check/raise in the dark," in a multi-way pot, are you obligated to raise if another opponent bets?

Regardless of the answer, you will not BELIEVE what the floor said when this question came up at Seneca Niagara yesterday.

In a 1/2 NL game, a player often checked in the dark. I jokingly remarked, "If you had any stones, you'd check/RAISE in the dark one of these times." Here is how the rest of the conversation went.

Player: Actually, what would the rule be in that case? Would I have to raise?

Dealer: I would say no. Your check would be binding, but you can't announce a move out-of-turn.

We all seem to agree, but at that moment, the dealer was shuffling and the floor walked by. She was a heavy-set woman with whom I was not familiar.

The dealer asked the floor if a check/raise in the dark would be binding.

Floor: Hmm, that's a hard one. I'm not sure. I'd have to think about it.

Other Donkey at Table: Actually, I think you'd have to make the player go all in if he check/raises in the dark. He announced his move!

Floor (I'm not making this up): You might be right. I think the raise would have to count.

Me (incredulous beyond belief): Wait, obviously the player wouldn't have to be all in. At most he'd be obligated to a min-raise.

Floor: Well, you're probably right about that.

Me: But you'd really decide that the raise would have to stand? Even if the raise is out-of-turn?

Floor: Well, I guess it would depend on the situation.

Me: Why would the situation matter?

Floor: I just couldn't say what I'd do unless that situation came up.

This does NOT exactly inspire confidence. Yeesh.