Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Default The Best Reason Not To Put On Dog Fights

Its not that dogs might be sentient. Because many disagree. Its not that it is an indication that you might be a sociopath or a sadist. Because many disagree. And its not because it is illegal. Because it isn't illegal everywhere.

The reason you shouldn't do it is similar to the reason you shouldn't light cigars with hundred dollar bills. Which is that many people (perhaps the majority, perhaps not) are EXTREMELY upset with the practice, whearas you, (hopefully), are getting only the mildest of enjoyment from it.

I have no problem with people treating themselves and their immediate family much better than they treat others. But it seems to me there should be a limit. Even if it is not a legal one. For instance if someone in your poker game is known to be highly allergic to a certain favorite shirt of yours, I would think you would avoid wearing it even if he was only a mild acquantance. I would.

Now I don't know if the idea of eschewing mild amusement to keep others from having major distress is a trait that comes from DNA, God, chezlaw, pragmatism or whatever. But I do know that most people agree with this idea and might even change a behavior it they were shown that such behavior was contradicting it. That should include most dogfight fans.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: The Best Reason Not To Put On Dog Fights

Social pressure/concern may apply. Whether it's THE reason is questionable, it seems a bit weak.

A better reason is the same one that explains why we don't beat mules with pitchforks. The less respect/concern we have for other life and it's quality, the less value our own ( our family, countryman, orb-sharers) has.

Cruelty for pleasure seems so last-year.

luckyme
Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cruelty for pleasure seems so last-year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except cruelty of the mocking kind towards the kind of people who hate being mocked. That's generally a good thing.

chez
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not that dogs might be sentient

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't much 'might' about it for experts on the subject. In fact, you have to be extremely biased to think dogs are not sentient.

Sure, you can object that we never can be 100% sure they are sentient. But I could make the same point about you.

The best reason not to put on dog fights is exactly the same as the best reason not to force human slaves into fighting.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its not that dogs might be sentient

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't much 'might' about it for experts on the subject. In fact, you have to be extremely biased to think dogs are not sentient.

Sure, you can object that we never can be 100% sure they are sentient. But I could make the same point about you.

The best reason not to put on dog fights is exactly the same as the best reason not to force human slaves into fighting.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how about [censored] fighting?

EDIT: LOL.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 PM

Your reply is ambiguous. Taking it in one sense, we already have a thread covering that topic. Personally I find it distasteful.

In the sense of 'roosters,' from what I understand chickens are sentient, and actually pretty smart.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:26 PM

[censored] fighting, awesome.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your reply is ambiguous. Taking it in one sense, we already have a thread covering that topic. Personally I find it distasteful.

In the sense of 'roosters,' from what I understand chickens are sentient, and actually pretty smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're a hell of a lot smarter than humans. They'll run around without a head a lot longer than any human I know.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nice one.

And no, they aren't very smart.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nice one.

And no, they aren't very smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to retort

"Chickens can also grasp other complex mental concepts. For instance, according to Evans, chickens are able to understand that objects still exist even after they are hidden or removed from view. This level of cognition is actually beyond the capacity of small human children.9 Researchers also recently reported that chickens “can anticipate the future and demonstrate self-control, something previously attributed only to humans and other primates.”10 Scientists made this discovery after they observed that when given the option between pecking a button and receiving a small food reward instantly or holding out for 22 seconds in order to receive a larger food reward, chickens in the study demonstrated self-control by holding out for the larger reward over 90 percent of the time."