Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: How can I explain to ppl that online sites are not rigged?

Ok, since posting this, I have discussed it with a friend.
He is saying it is not rigged but it generates hands that will inevitably clash. For instance someone mentioned getting stacked holding KK when other person held J5 and made a straight. Lets say they both saw a flop with these hands and it came 234. What friend is saying is that if J5 had folded pre flop, the flop would be different.

Just out of interest as I am not entirely sure how the RNG works. Has the whole hand been randomly generated, ie Is it one set of cards which include everyones hole cards and all community cards. Or as each card is dealt, is the next one chosen at random at that precise time.?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:41 AM

Here is the best way to show that such hands are not evidence of rigged sites:

Sit your friend down and for several hours deal out 10-handed poker. Every time a similar hand shows, tell your friend that this is evidence that live poker is rigged.

I play live games every week. Such hands happen just as much (if you adjust for hands per hour).

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of interest as I am not entirely sure how the RNG works. Has the whole hand been randomly generated, ie Is it one set of cards which include everyones hole cards and all community cards. Or as each card is dealt, is the next one chosen at random at that precise time.?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the site. PokerStars sets the deck at the beginning of each hand. Many other sites have a continuous shuffle - the cards are continuously shuffled during a hand; each card dealt is randomized from the whole remaining deck.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 PM

Crazy stuff happens in live games every single day.

The reason on-line play seems "rigged" to a lot of new-ish on-line players, is that they haven't played as many hands an hour live as they do when on-line. As a result, they end up seeing more crazy flops, turns, and rivers per hour on their computer than they've seen while playing live simply because they are seeing 3 times as many hands per hour per table as they have seen when playing live. And if you're 4-tabling (or more) that is a LOT of hands.

As an example, at a live 2/3 game last night I saw KK raise preflop and get called by JJ. The flop was KJJ. After they each slow played the flop, they ended up all-in by the river (obv.). And the Kings lost. Rigged? No. Just poker.

And on-line that kind of thing happens as often as in live play, but it "seems" more frequent just because you see it more often per hour as a result of playing more hands per hour.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:41 PM