Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figure in the next five years, 30% of those who claim to be Yankees fans will be claiming to be lifetime Red Sox fans, and their leader will be Rudy Giuliani.

[/ QUOTE ]

im obv not a yankee fan, but this statement about gulianni is retarted. Guliani is a yankee fan, hes not switching. he basically said, the yankees are out of it, im an american league fan, so im rooting for the sox

nothing wrong with that, and it was blown out of proportion by the media.

/irrelevant rant

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, he wasn't changing teams, really...just pandering for votes like the shallow [censored] he is.

However, given the level of hatred those two teams have for each other, I fail to see how any self-respecting true Yankees fan could ever, ever, ever root for the Red Sox, and vice versa. A true fan never roots for one's most bitter rival to win.

Of course, he's a politician, so for him, truth is an elastic proposition, at best.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe you are attempting to argue that being the greatest player of all time isn't just okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I'm attempting to argue is that for A-Rod, it seems clear that being the center of attention, and personal gratification, is more important to him than actually winning a World Series, and that, to some extent, those qualities probably make it less likely that he ever will win a World Series, in spite of his ginormous talent.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figure in the next five years, 30% of those who claim to be Yankees fans will be claiming to be lifetime Red Sox fans, and their leader will be Rudy Giuliani.

[/ QUOTE ]

im obv not a yankee fan, but this statement about gulianni is retarted. Guliani is a yankee fan, hes not switching. he basically said, the yankees are out of it, im an american league fan, so im rooting for the sox

nothing wrong with that, and it was blown out of proportion by the media.

/irrelevant rant

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, he wasn't changing teams, really...just pandering for votes like the shallow [censored] he is.

However, given the level of hatred those two teams have for each other, I fail to see how any self-respecting true Yankees fan could ever, ever, ever root for the Red Sox, and vice versa. A true fan never roots for one's most bitter rival to win.

Of course, he's a politician, so for him, truth is an elastic proposition, at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

either that, or he really is an american league fan and wants to root for the american league to win. go figure
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to compare fan-[censored], please start a new thread. No one here cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to Franchise60, he's the insecure child turning an A-Rod thread into a "lets rag on Mondo" thread. I'm happy to discuss A-Rod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you come into every thread containing anything to with the Yankees and absolutely ruin it with your insane points and arguments.

No one agrees with you, your points have no merit, just leave. Please get out of the thread. You did the same thing in the Joe Torre thread and 50 people killed you. We know you hate the Yankees, sweet, enjoy your 25 game hot streak that just ended so quickly, you'll never get back again. So live up second place.

You don't even make points, you just bash the Yankees, and I'm the insecure one? Get a grip man.

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod is simply a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but not much else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe you are attempting to argue that being the greatest player of all time isn't just okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I'm attempting to argue is that for A-Rod, it seems clear that being the center of attention, and personal gratification, is more important to him than actually winning a World Series, and that, to some extent, those qualities probably make it less likely that he ever will win a World Series, in spite of his ginormous talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he didnt care about winning, he wouldnt have been willing to give up 50 million guaranteed to accept the trade to the redsox, which the players union didnt allow him to do. he begged to get traded from texas, where he was the star. he wanted to go to the sox or the yankees so he could win. he even moved to 3b without an argument. if he was selfish, he would have demanded to play short since he is 10 times the shortstop as jeter.

its odd im defending him here, cause as a mets fan, i have loved watching him struggle in the postseason these past few years.

but to say he didnt care is ludicrous
Old 10-29-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You don't even make points, you just bash the Yankees, and I'm the insecure one? Get a grip man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where bashing A-Rod is the same as bashing the Yankees. Seems to me it's A-Rod and Boras bashing the Yankees, not me.

Yeah, I thought it was a classless way how the Yankees got rid of Torre. Folks disagreed with me. So what? Get over it. And while you're at it, get some reading comprehension, man.

You should be less worried about what I'm saying in this thread, and more worried about who's going to play the hot corner for the Yankees next year.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really, what's the difference between having $500m and $300m?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of a private Caribbean island. Make that an archipelago.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the difference between ending up with 925 or 875 home runs? No one will really care, because the numbers as astronomical either way.

But the difference between winning a World Series and not ever winning one? That's what folks on the street will care about and remember more.

[/ QUOTE ]
And A-Rod probably doesn't care that much about what folks on the street do. I realize that point isn't lost on you...but even if he doesn't have a "I'll sacrifice so the team can win" mentality, he still puts up the numbers that help a team win. To say otherwise is retarded.

To put it another way, if A-Rod weren't a Yankee this year, would they have made the playoffs?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Does anyone think the Yankees are still going to be involved in future negotiations? Or is it everyone opinion that Cash is going to stick to his guns and move on?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the media for reporting this story during the World Series and then blaming A-Rod for said story.

[censored] tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at blaming this on the media. Boras decided to tell the Yankees and make this public during the World Series. Even if they didn't mention it on the Fox broadcast, SI had it by early in the game and it was all over every other news and sports broadcast by the seventh inning. Do you want the media to collectively ignore this story for the "good of the game"?

Gammons was pissed because he was on the field after the Saux won the series and he was being asked questions about A-Rod. He first tried to answer the question and then went into his mini-tirade about the fact that this was happening today, during the World Series (and the rest that is paraphrased in someone else's post).

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they dont have to ignore it for the good of the game. They just cannot TALK about it and then complain about how wrong it is that they are talking about it. If they want to ignore it and then blast Arod, fine. If they want to talk about it, fine. But they cannot talk about it AND blast Arod.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. The whole media was forced to report it once the SI article broke. Fox can't be like, "and in not-so-breaking news, ARod isn't a Yankee anymore." I think Gammons was just pissed because Arod/Boras knew exactly what would happen and it was weak sauce on their part.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod is simply a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but not much else.

[/ QUOTE ]