Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Power of Positive Thinking????

I was wondering how much does the power of positive thinking really have on yourself and the outside world....

I know that if I get a good haircut and a nice shirt, that I feel more confident, I have a better mindset about my life, and then things just seem to go my way.... I would almost consider the mechanics of this situation to happen the vast majority of the time....

On the other hand, lets say I stain my shirt with coffee, or wake up with a nice huge whitehead on my nose that is almost impossible not to notice.... I think about both these things all day, and that everyone else notices them, whether that is true or not.... And thus, my day surely doesn't go as well as I'd like.....

Basically, what is causing the outcomes from the events beforehand??? Is it the confidence in my mind that leads to more beneficial outcomes.... Is it sheer coincidence, even though, these events and their outcomes are the same almost every time.... If it is confidence, how does this have an affect on the outside world in such an advantageous way???
Old 10-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Power of Positive Thinking????

huh?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM

It's a mix of both.

People gravitate towards confident people with ideas and opportunity's. They will also look up to a confident strong person for reassurances etc which give you a more benificial position within sovial groups.

That's my thoughts anyway.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM

"I think therefore I am"=pretty positive [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM

Negative attitudes tend to drive others away. And you tend to get less done. However, if you are something like the President you should watch out for this kind of thinking. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering how much does the power of positive thinking really have on yourself and the outside world....

I know that if I get a good haircut and a nice shirt, that I feel more confident, I have a better mindset about my life, and then things just seem to go my way.... I would almost consider the mechanics of this situation to happen the vast majority of the time....

On the other hand, lets say I stain my shirt with coffee, or wake up with a nice huge whitehead on my nose that is almost impossible not to notice.... I think about both these things all day, and that everyone else notices them, whether that is true or not.... And thus, my day surely doesn't go as well as I'd like.....

Basically, what is causing the outcomes from the events beforehand??? Is it the confidence in my mind that leads to more beneficial outcomes.... Is it sheer coincidence, even though, these events and their outcomes are the same almost every time.... If it is confidence, how does this have an affect on the outside world in such an advantageous way???

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly it's your profligate deployment of punctuation marks???
Old 10-15-2007, 03:01 AM

Maybe it's a positive occurance:negative occurance ratio.
-not sure if that makes any sense but here's a shot at an explanation

Perhaps when you've had more (what you perceive to be) positive events in a day compared to (what you percieve to be) negative events that same time frame, your perception of each individual negative event seems less severe.

I think I got a little too complicated there.

Basically what I'm talking about is moods. If your in a good mood because that day you got a clean haircut, a nice shirt, and really hot girl gave you her a number, then a stained shirt will not be as bothersome.

Edit:Severity of positive and negative events should also be taken into account.

positive events X severity of events:negative events X severity of events

ie. If you won a raffle for a new viper, got a fresh haircut, bought all new clothes, hooked up with jessica alba, and played one on one with jordan but then you found out your whole family was murdered by a psychopath, then it is pretty certain you wouldn't result in a positive mood (even though there was more occurances of positive events, the severity of the single event-your family being murdered- takes precedence