Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Beware

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better ... that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea." (Matt. 18:6.)

"Why didn't the Lord tell us plainly about these things?" The scientist answered: "It is likely we would not understand if he did. It might be like trying to explain the theory of atomic energy to an eight-year-old child."

I heard one of our own eminent scientists say something to the effect that he believed more professors have taken themselves out of the Church by their trying to philosophize or intellectualize the fall of Adam and the subsequent atonement of the Savior. This was because they would rather accept the philosophies of men than what the Lord has revealed until they, and we, are able to understand the "mysteries of godliness" as explained to the prophe;mysteries of godliness" as explained to the prophets of the Lord and more fully revealed in sacred places.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Beware

Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 AM

Nice picture.

Cats don't have sacred places, but they're sure grinding that millstone. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Humans should learn more from them.

They're unlikely to however. Keeps it dramatic for most, I suppose.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 AM

your post is worded confusingly, but i find it really hard to give a quote labelled as from an "eminent scientist" much credit. who said this? when, to whom, and in what context?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM

Maybe the lord should have explained it right away then.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cats don't have sacred places, but they're sure grinding that millstone. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Humans should learn more from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Cats got it figured out. Sleep 16 hours a day, hunt, eat, get laid. I'm sure they're laughing inside when we try to figure out the ranking order of intelligent species.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:57 AM

Whenever a post begins with a Bible quote, you know they're on to something..
Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 AM

I'm sure cats have used Bible shreddings as kitty litter.

It's a good book, so I'm told, but the philosophies really are in need of serious updates.

I mean, almost nobody uses Windows 3.1 anymore.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe the lord should have explained it right away then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the Lord had an inkling just how long the wait would be but that being ever ready served a double purpose: 1) it helped people practice his teachings better by underpinning them with the urgency of Judgment Day 2) by telling his people to watch future generations will be ready for him.

He knows he is planting a seed thru his handpicked men and the very beginning of the planting is incredibly important for the planting to grow and thrive. If he waters them with life giving words then his church can sustain the test of time.

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." "Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with the hand mill; one will be taken and the other left." "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come." (Matthew 24:36, 40 & 42)

Edit: Note that the double purpose saves more people across time while the Gospel is being spread across the globe.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Splendour,

Is there room in certain parts of Christian philosophy for the fact that God himself allows a certain inclination towards not knowing the results himself?

I only ask because I find pure omnipotence illogical, and perhaps an extremely powerful being would find it very interesting to follow a development without knowing the results yet.

I guess what I'm saying he doesn't meddle, but he wouldn't be surprised by the results either. He knows all, just not which all and how it gets there.

Make sense?