Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Brantford 20/40 - ATo

20/40 - 10 handed. fairly new to the table and not too many reads. Table is pretty good 4 to a flop on average. Villian (BB) has about 3k in front of him so I assume he's dece.

I limp UTG+1 with AsTd , 6 to the flop.

Flop: JcKsQs pot: 6SB

blinds check, I bet, 4 to the turn.

Turn: JcKsQs9s pot: 5BB

blinds check, I bet, 2 folds, BB calls.

River: JcKsQs9sQd pot: 7BB

BB checks, I bet, BB raises, I reluctantly call.

pot: 11BB

Is this an easy check behind once the river pairs? Is this an easy fold once I get c/rd? (10:1 is big so I doubt its an "easy" fold but still a doable one).

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Brantford 20/40 - ATo

I personally would check behind because getting to showdown helps me put hands behind me, move on, and play better for the rest of the session. If you are betting, you have to bet/fold, and that seems hard against this villan that maybe capable of a river "bluff" with a hand like JT or QT. I like to try to avoid awkward spots vs. good players, so i'd check.

Against a passive player its a definite bet/fold IMO.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:26 PM

You have to bet since you have the nut str8 and any T pays you off. Now, let's analyze the call.

If he has a boat, he would have to have KK, QQ, JJ, 99, KQ, QJ, or Q9. We can rule out KK/QQ/JJ given his PF & flop play. We can almost for certain rule out 99 since one would have to be completely retarded to call with 99 on the flop since he has 0 clean outs. I would have expected KQ to have c-r'ed the flop, Q9 would have likely mucked, but QJ is definitely possible. If he hit a baby flush on the turn, I would have expected a line other than c/c...if he was afraid to raise the turn with a hand like 5s4s, then he should have been more afraid to raise the river with that hand. A str8 on the turn might have called, but then I would have expected a river donk instead of a c/r. Unbelievably, I would expect some people to play JsTs this way (this is Brantford, after all). Also, he may be really bad and think his AQ is good.

Given that he has played the hand extremely weirdly, I think you have to call since you are getting 10:1. Since you're 2 to his left, if the river call is a mistake (albeit a small one), you'll learn a hell of a lot about the player two seats to your right.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Why are you limping ATo UTG+1? Fold or raise, bro.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you limping ATo UTG+1? Fold or raise, bro.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Think "fold or raise"...and then fold.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you limping ATo UTG+1? Fold, bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, at a 10-handed table in early position, ATo is crap. Dump it. This could signify that you have a lot of leaks, both preflop and post-flop, and that whether or not to call a checkraise on the river HU in position closing the action with a Broadway straight in a decent-sized pot is the least of your worries.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian (BB) has about 3k in front of him so I assume he's dece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dece? If you meant "decent", than I think that's a bad assumption. Plenty of terrible players will go on rushes and build up huge stacks, and in a limit game, some of them just like to buy in for large amounts just for the fun of it. I would actually assume that the big stack means he's a little more likely to be a LAG, but I wouldn't put much weight on it.

So without a read on BB, I think you have to call and be ready to lose most of the time.

And I agree with others that your PF call is really bad.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:07 PM

First, we've established it already, but the pf call is horrible.

Second, I don't know why the merits of a river call are being debating. Joker is right. The call is instant. If he has you beat, so it goes.

Third, on the call itself. I don't know what you're afraid of here. My thought is K high straight, but given that you're posting here, he probably had KK or something amusing like that. Two pair or a set raises the flop. Given his flush would be non-nut, you'd expect a turn c/r if that's what he had. One would think he'd bet or c/r if he turned the ignorant straight too, but who knows. That's the read, but as for the call, it's instant. You're getting 10:1, this is not an easy fold, and very rarely is it a doable one. We can all assume in the end you were beaten, but the question in this hand is not the river call, it's the pf call.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian (BB) has about 3k in front of him so I assume he's dece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh

[ QUOTE ]
I limp UTG+1 with AsTd

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
20/40 - 10 handed. fairly new to the table and not too many reads. Table is pretty good 4 to a flop on average. Villian (BB) has about 3k in front of him so I assume he's dece.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats your first mistake. its a terrible assumption. if he has 3k in front of him you can assume he's likely aggressive, but you're more likely to build big stacks playing lagtarded than you are by playing a solid tight/aggressive game, particularly in a 10-handed game where the correct strategy is very tight.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this an easy check behind once the river pairs? Is this an easy fold once I get c/rd? (10:1 is big so I doubt its an "easy" fold but still a doable one).

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's an easy bet/call. checkign behind would be terrible. and he could easily have a ten for the straight, so folding would be terrible too.