Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Its Hard to Decipher....

[ QUOTE ]
That's interesting. So a single sentence can have different literal meanings depending on the context. I recognized different literal meanings when a word has different definitions, but I've always assumed that the "literal meaning" must be completely static. That's why I've always thought there's no "true" literal meaning, because the meaning always shifts depending on the reader.

I don't think I can justify my point of view - it's just how I've always read "literal." Let me know if you come up with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will. thanks for the comments.
incidentally, I would call your position, 'absolute meaning', but I claim no authority on any usage of any word.

luckyme
Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Its Hard to Decipher....

[ QUOTE ]
I have no particular objection to the bulk of your post. My question with bunny was along the lines of ...

ok, then what does 'take it literally' mean in your world. If it has no meaning, np.
If, "I lit my cigar with a twenty dollar bill" is going to mean we need to invoke a UN conference, so be it.
I claim it has a literal meaning.
I also claim it has several other possible implications depending on the context.
If somebody wants to take the position that it no meaning without context, well, er, oky-doky.

"How should we interpret this?"
"We shouldn't. We should take it literally."
makes sense to me. To bunny, and perhaps to the entire rest of the world, it needs interpretation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Typically, I've just confused the issue with poor word choice. I agree with your position. I phrase it as a literal interpretation, you phrase it as not interpreting but taking it literally. Same thing, I think.

Perhaps I should have been clear that I dont think interpretation is required - I think it's an option. Literal reading is the default position I adopt. Sorry for the confusion.