Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Its Hard to Decipher....

Decent links. Thanks for sharing. I didn't read thru all of them but keep in mind that you can take the Word of God & twist it until it says anything you want it to say, especially on teh internets.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its hard to say anything...Looks like the evidence speaks for itself...It's something to meditate on now more than debate...

[/ QUOTE ]
The trouble is it isnt even evidence. Look at the one I selected (obviously I picked one of the weaker ones, but still). The biblical citation has nothing to do with when Israel will be re-established - someone has combed through history and attempted to fit the facts to the scripture later.

Coupled with that the fact that 536 BC to 1948 AD isnt 2484 years anyhow (since there is no "year zero" they go from 1 BC to 1 AD) and whoever proposed this interpretation didnt even do a mildly competent job.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 PM

Well why not contact them bunny with your concerns. They have a web address below...

About us at www.100prophecies.org
We created this site - 100prophecies.org - in October 1999 to give people a better understanding of the Bible and of Christianity. Our goal is to show people, to the best of our abilities, that the Bible truly is the word of God by explaining how 100 of the Bible's prophecies have been accurately fulfilled.

The Bible has hundreds of prophecies. We chose to show 100 of them, simply because it's a nice, round number. If you have any questions, comments or criticisms, you can email us at ohpquestions@yahoo.com

We also have a "mirror" site called Christian Internet Forum, which is virtually identical to this site.

We are small group of Christians - Catholics and Lutherans (of the Wisconsin Synod). We believe that the Bible is the word of God, that Jesus is the Son of God, and that Jesus is the only source of salvation.

If the explanations of Bible prophecies featured on this site have given you an indication that the Bible is the word of God, or that it might be the word of God, then consider opening a Bible and reading part of it.

We recommend getting a Bible that has footnotes explaining the meaning of various Bible passages and historical references, such as the Concordia Self-Study Bible NIV (New International Version). It is written in an easy-to-understand style and is available through Amazon.com and many bookstores. The price ranges from about $30 to $40.

This site was created by George Konig. His son, Raymond, manages the site with the help of family and friends. We hope to build more Christian sites in the future. To read George's reasons as to why he became a Christian in 1989, click here.

- George Konig
Old 09-20-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you willing to get into prophecies and the flaws inherent in them? Are you going to claim you don't need to think critically because you have personal experience to guide you again?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well why not contact them bunny with your concerns.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because I fundamentally disagree with their claim that the Bible can be used as some sort of "Book of facts". I think it is a spiritual book and attempting to interpret it literally is doomed to failure - all you end up doing is wasting time and energy articulating which bits are literal, which are allegorical and as soon as you make one error - you're left defending an absurd position as "the inerrant word of God".

I think it is far better to view it as a tool for your own spiritual development - not as an inerrant catalogue (especially given how easy it is to twist the words to say whatever you want as Brad1970 pointed out).
Old 09-20-2007, 09:50 PM

No need to think critically tpir...the scholars are just reporting the events that jive with what biblical prophets proclaimed...Many of these are actual historical events if you bother to check history...Israel fell...check history...Israel rose again...a current fact...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:54 PM

I agree with a lot of what you said bunny ...Its extremely important how you use the word...But there are certain historical facts predicted in the Bible...
Christ is actually described in Isaiah 53 more than 800 years before he is born ...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well why not contact them bunny with your concerns.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because I fundamentally disagree with their claim that the Bible can be used as some sort of "Book of facts". I think it is a spiritual book and attempting to interpret it literally is doomed to failure - all you end up doing is wasting time and energy articulating which bits are literal, which are allegorical and as soon as you make one error - you're left defending an absurd position as "the inerrant word of God".

I think it is far better to view it as a tool for your own spiritual development - not as an inerrant catalogue (especially given how easy it is to twist the words to say whatever you want as Brad1970 pointed out).

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said before, I didn't read much of these sites at all & I don't know where this "book of facts" part came from but be careful Bunny, you are skating on thin ice. The Bible, from a Christian view, is without error & is the infallible Word of God. The error comes from man's interpretation.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you want to advocate religion in the course of debating topics relevant to science, math, or philosophy, that's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I completely forgot that this was Science, Math, and Philosophy. I thought it was Religion and OJ.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Bible, from a Christian view, is without error & is the infallible Word of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do christians know that?