Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 01:40 AM

Default I think I deserve a better grade; should I talk to the professor?

A little background:
I'm a freshmen this year at a small liberal arts college. I'm taking a 200-level studio art class. All of the other students in this class are art majors, mostly juniors and seniors. I am not, nor do I have any intentions of becoming, an art major. I am a pretty creative person in general though. The main reason I'm taking this class is that I came in with almost a full year of credits, which has enabled me to take some fun classes outside my intended major. I've really been enjoying the class, my peers, and professor.

The only problem? I got my midterm grade for the class, and I'm barely pulling a C+. I've been to every class (including an optional field trip on a Saturday morning), I've never been late, I've always had my pieces ready for critiques on time, and he knows I've been working a good deal outside of class. The only feedback I've gotten from the professor is during the actual critiques; he's never given any sort of actual grades for me to see after the fact. It's not his "style" to hand out grades every few weeks I guess. I've just assumed my grades have been fine, until now. It feels like I'm being punished for having less artistic ability than my more advanced peers, despite the fact that a good deal skip class and/or turn in projects late. So I guess my question is, what should I do? Sit quiet and hope I can pull my grades up? Bring it up to the professor that I'm not sure why my grades aren't up to my standards? Be more forward and outline why I think my grade should be higher? Help me out.

PS. I know I seem like a grade-grubbing nit for complaining about a C+, but I have to have a 3.2 to keep my scholarships. Right now I have a 3.1, which is killer since pretty much half of my tuition is scholarships.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: I think I deserve a better grade; should I talk to the professor?

Find out what you're doing that gets you a C+. If he says its your quality of work, then ask for extra help, set up a few meetings outside of class, whatever.

No nittiness for complaining about a C+ since you need to keep a scholarship. The lesson from this class carries over to every class you'll take. I've brought up LOTS of bad grades just from talking to the prof outside of class once or twice throughout the semester and making sure we've got a good working relationship.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:15 PM

^^ Agreed. There is nothing wrong with finding out why you are making the C+. The worst thing to do is to say nothing and hope you make the changes that the professor wants, even though you do not know what they are.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:06 PM

I didn't read any of this, but yes, talking to your teacher respectfully about your grade is a very good thing to do. I've asked teachers to explain their reasoning to me about grades that I thought were too low, and a few times they have reevaluated the subjective portions of the grade (participation, whatever else) and bumped up my grade (B to a B+ type thing). It's part of their jobs to explain to you why you are receiving the grades you are and not uncommon at all.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 PM

Professor here.

You should make your case to him, and particularly mention the scholarships. You need to do it right away, though, and not wait any longer. If the semester ends, then he can't change your grade, or he'd be accused of capricious grading by the other students.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 AM

I didn't read the contents but having just graduated the answer is YES.

Present your case, the worst that can happen is the professor realizes you're interested in the class and you keep the grade.

College is about taking initiative.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the semester ends, then he can't change your grade

[/ QUOTE ]
This varies by school. I had a prof change mine after the fact and all he had to do was fill out a little sheet and write a little blurb why. I'm almost positive he did it over the internet.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the semester ends, then he can't change your grade

[/ QUOTE ]
This varies by school. I had a prof change mine after the fact and all he had to do was fill out a little sheet and write a little blurb why. I'm almost positive he did it over the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me rephrase. It's not that he "can't". It's that he shouldn't... unless there is damn good reason (e.g. he made a mistake in grading). If a professor changes a grade simply because someone came begging or did some "extra work", then he can be accused of capricious grading, since the other students didn't get the same advantage.