Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 PM

Default slowplay set when pot is small?

0.25/0.50 Fixed-Limit Hold'em <font color="blue">(10 handed)</font>
Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="grey">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="grey">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: (5.0 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">BB raises</font>, <font color="grey">UTG+2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="grey">MP2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

<ul type="square">Is good here slowplay and c/r turn?
1) The pot is still small
2) If i 3bet here i dont out FD anyway or oesd so i dont see here sense to protect/value 3bet.[/list]Turn: (5.5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

River: (11.5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="grey">MP1 folds</font>.

Final Pot: 13.5 BB
Old 07-27-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: slowplay set when pot is small?

ppl will say no but I think it's OK w/MP1 trapped
Old 07-27-2007, 03:12 PM

You want to charge him as much as possible to draw out on you.
set can easily get cracked on drawy board.
what if he has something like 89 or T9 w/ BDFD or even flush draw?

No, dont try to slowplay on two-tone board, particularly not on connected like this.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:15 PM

3-betting the flop would have been better than waiting to check raise the turn.

The pot was not that small at 10sb and your 3-bet would have been for value. You cant protect against the FD's and OESD's as you point out, but you can extract more bets from them while they are still drawing.

The other point, is that if you wait to check raise the turn, there is no guarantee that the BB (or MP1) will bet the turn allowing you to raise. That could easily happen if both players were drawing and missed their draw on the turn.

Generally speaking its best to play your sets fast, especially on drawy boards.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) If i 3bet here i dont out FD anyway or oesd so i dont see here sense to protect/value 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget about protect, this doesn't apply here. Fact is you are the favorite, so get your bucks into the pot. IMO this is a value bet if you flopped a set.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:25 PM

I definitely prefer a 3-bet on the flop with a trapped opponent who already called for two. The pot is not small, it's already 10SB by the time it gets to you and it's only going to get bigger. You have a great hand with excellent redraws - in fact your redraws are likely better than your opponent's draws. You have seven cards that will improve you going into the turn and you'll have ten going into the river. Meanwhile if they are drawing and missing you'll never get properly paid off on the river. You have to charge them right now.

Regarding the turn as fantam says what guarantee do you have that someone will bet the turn? You need to donk the turn and make sure nobody gets a free card. If someone raises you still should be in fine shape. You got lucky in that your check-raise worked out in trapping MP1 but there's no way you could count on that.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:26 PM

I agree with the B/3B line, for if nothing else it avoids giving free cards.

Just to add, however, I think we should stop saying things like "charge a flush draw" or "charge an OESD." In multiway pots these are not "charged," mkay. You guys give good draws a bad name. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM

call it pot equity.

with a set not only you most likely hold the best hand, you also have ten outs* to fill up or make quads. So you are the favorite, and you charge everyone who isn't.

edit: *on the turn
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 PM

I raise flop primarily because of MP1... if we raise flop we are very likely to get 1SB each from BB and MP1. On the turn, MP1 may fold to BB's bet (assuming anyone bets at all).

Kit -- it may be semantics, but when I think of "charging a flush draw" it's charging him the 65% of his bet that goes in for the times he doesn't hit.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kit -- it may be semantics, but when I think of "charging a flush draw" it's charging him the 65% of his bet that goes in for the times he doesn't hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly we a charging both of them but the money a FD makes off the guy who is way behind is only a small portion of the Sklansky bucks that both of them are charged for continuing.