Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Beat the UIGEA from the bottom up

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, the cost of providing the service is incrementally low for each new table, so I don't see freeloaders as a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but the first few are a real problem.

I may have a solution I'm working on, we'll see. I missed a call today with an update on the legal prospects.

But it really follows Tuff's dream of getting on-line US poker without trying to make a massive killing. Of course there will be a little profit but most of that is pretty much given away to attract the necessary parts.

If this flys thank Tuff for his dream and inspiration!

Imagine there's no UIGEA
It's easy if you try
No e-pass below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the poker
Playing for today

Imagine there's no countries laws
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to gain or fight for
And no rake too
Imagine all the people
Playing poker in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will play as one

Imagine no affiliates
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or scandal
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Sorry John!

(Lennon)

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you got that on a sound track yet?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tuff
Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 AM

how do you plan on preventing cheating? without a central server each "dealer" computer can make whatever modifications to the code it likes.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

how do you plan on preventing cheating? without a central server each "dealer" computer can make whatever modifications to the code it likes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is preventable / detectable, search "Honest Hold'Em"
Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how many PC games have you decompiled and fixed so as to beat your buddies?

The server program and clients are not going out to you as source code, you get it in finished form on a disk like turbotax. I imagine the authors can insure that if you mess with it, it won't run. Just my assumption, I am no computer geek.

Tuff
Old 11-20-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is commonplace [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] usually used for spanking unknowns rather than buddies, however.

[ QUOTE ]

The server program and clients are not going out to you as source code

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably should. (EDIT: The only good reason to conceal source code is that it contains vulnerabilities)

Use an SHA checksum or whatever to check the executable is legit.. but a decent system should not be scared of revealing source code, and should do so whenever possible. If errors are found, sweet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] fix it!

dave.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The server program and clients are not going out to you as source code, you get it in finished form on a disk like turbotax. I imagine the authors can insure that if you mess with it, it won't run. Just my assumption, I am no computer geek.

Tuff

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I haven't done it myself but there are thousands of people cheating at online games right now (OMG HAX) but that's beside the point here since client-side hacks would be useless against well-designed server software.

What I was getting at is this: if there are going to be hundreds (or more) of these "mini-servers" how are you going to verify they're all using your "approved" software? With so much money at stake, I guarantee to you that the server software will be hacked and rigged within a week of hitting the market. And honestly this is probably a much smaller problem than the problem of payment processing.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 AM

For some reason I can't edit [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Tuff:

One does not need source to hax a client [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (Search google for "Cheat Engine" or "T-Search") but see my above response. One can verify the legitimacy of clients somehow.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Use an SHA checksum or whatever to check the executable is legit.. but a decent system should not be scared of revealing source code, and should do so whenever possible. If errors are found, sweet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] fix it!

dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

So who's going to check these hashes?

Edit: also checking clients is going to be a waste of time, since they're not going to be receiving any exploitable data in a well-designed (and non-rigged) system. Checking servers is what I'm talking about.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So who's going to check these hashes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any homegame client interfacing with another?

[ QUOTE ]

Checking servers is what I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC this is a p2p system, each client is also a server. Am I missing something here?

Also note I am here purely in the hypothetical, shooting out ideas - gambling is for some reason not a crime where I live [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is commonplace [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] usually used for spanking unknowns rather than buddies, however.

[ QUOTE ]

The server program and clients are not going out to you as source code

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably should. (EDIT: The only good reason to conceal source code is that it contains vulnerabilities)

dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think it is an issue of the source code, but security of its application and IMO the need for robust security on the centeral server, hence the need for such a server.

Once you add in real money to the issue, you have additional issues of security, provention of minors participation, IP blocking of jurisdicitions, and the desire of some to address problem gamblers; you may agree as I do that some form of centeral server power is needed to be sucessful.

No Tuff don't have it recorded yet.

I sing even worse than I play poker! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

D$D