Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: You\'re making 800k a year now.....

This clearly depends on kids/family etc.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:56 PM

I work 2 years, and then depending on how much I like the job I might work a year or 2 more, prolly not tho.

Hopefully this thread turns into the typical argument about how impossible it is to live comfortably on anything less than 200K a year if you want a family, blah blah blah. I really love watching those idiots defend that position. Makes me feel good about myself.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:57 PM

Location: Realising I suck at Poker (lifetime winner though!)

Probably 5 years 9until i am thirty), then retire to a small greek village and drink Mythos (Ahh Mythos) all day long with my GF, until she annoys me and i find a new one (probably one a year).
Old 04-15-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how many days a week are we working, how many hours, and do we enjoy our job? For example, if it was coaching basketball I'd do it for the next 60 years, but if it was being a historian I'd do it for 2 years and retire....

[/ QUOTE ]

Assume you're working 5 days a week from 8:30 til 5:30. In other words, a more or less normal work week for a full time professional person. You enjoy your job to a degree, but it's not something you're passionate about.

You get 4 weeks paid vacation per year.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work 2 years, and then depending on how much I like the job I might work a year or 2 more, prolly not tho.

Hopefully this thread turns into the typical argument about how impossible it is to live comfortably on anything less than 200K a year if you want a family, blah blah blah. I really love watching those idiots defend that position. Makes me feel good about myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people prefer different lifestyles than others. There's nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 PM

id work till im 35, 12 years, and while i was working id pick up on day trading stocks and commodoties, then when i retire, do that full time during the day, live on the lv strip and party every night
Old 04-15-2007, 01:15 PM

I am a little stunned by the short responses. If this job is not that stressful I would work about 30 years. I am 21 right now. I would set up some nice retirement accounts and donate a ton of that money to causes that I believe in.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:17 PM

almost no one has the discipline to put away most of the $500K you would have after taxes to the point that they would be comfortable after 4-5 years. Expenses rise to meet income. You would want a balla car and pad. You would buy a lot of expensive stuff actually. You would travel. You would take on debt because you have the cash flow to handle it (i.e. you could buy a house for a million bucks say, and plan to pay it off over 10-15 years) You would also invest money in non-liquid assets that would help your retirement but wouldn't be available to you immediately.

My point is, that if you take someone making $40K/yr and bump them to $800K/yr they become an "$800K/yr person" Almost all would stay on the job as long as they could.

This is somewhat analogous to a lottery winner i think.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Um, do I like my job? If so, I'd work there as long as I liked it. If I absolutely hated it, probably 3 years.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:24 PM

I'd prob work for 10 years so that not only could I be fine, but I could also provide my parents with a very comfortable lifestyle to live out their days.

I think once I had the money I wouldn't be worried about being bored.

I'd retire to some island with a small yacht and spend my days relaxing, reading, finding new hobbies, and doing charity work. Also, investing my money wisely.