Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Hevad Kahn

[ QUOTE ]
...if we start considering people's 'television persona' to be more important than who they really are...I fear for the future of our society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? He's not being misrepresented on television. He purposely is displaying these antics to millions of people, fully aware that people will base their opinion of him on what they see. If he wanted people to know the "real" Hevad Kahn (assuming it's different), he wouldn't act like a douche on television.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...if we start considering people's 'television persona' to be more important than who they really are...I fear for the future of our society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? He's not being misrepresented on television. He purposely is displaying these antics to millions of people, fully aware that people will base their opinion of him on what they see. If he wanted people to know the "real" Hevad Kahn (assuming it's different), he wouldn't act like a douche on television.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's always some level of misrepresentation when people cut / crop / edit / splice film of an event. That said, I'm not trying to argue that Hevad somehow acted like an angel but was represented as a devil. I'm also not trying to argue that Hevad was someone unaware that his antics would be displayed to a huge audience. My main concern was with the 'television persona > who a person actually is' argument. In this case, maybe there *is* a one-to-one correspondence between Hevad's TV persona and who he actually is...but...

...The point is, I don't think any of us can know this...because almost no one in this thread actually knows him. The scary part is that some people seem to think they can make wide-sweeping generalizations about a person's character based upon a few minutes of watching them on television.

I'm much more concerned about this type of thinking when it comes to people drawing conclusions about things that actually matter, however, [like when determining where to place a vote in a presidential election]....or when the world of television becomes more important than reality itself [manifestations of this phenomenon: soap operas, the celebrity culture, etc]
Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 PM

I see your point, but there are certain judgments I can make after just seeing a few minutes (or even seconds) of their behavior. If I see someone call my mother a whore, I know that there's not much you can do to convince me that otherwise he's a great guy. If I see someone do some loud, boorish dance after winning a big pot (which of course someone else lost), I know that I respect them less than, say, Barry Greenstein or someone else that shows more respect for their opponents. And I can say that whether or not I know anything else about them.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see your point, but there are certain judgments I can make after just seeing a few minutes (or even seconds) of their behavior. If I see someone call my mother a whore, I know that there's not much you can do to convince me that otherwise he's a great guy. If I see someone do some loud, boorish dance after winning a big pot (which of course someone else lost), I know that I respect them less than, say, Barry Greenstein or someone else that shows more respect for their opponents. And I can say that whether or not I know anything else about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no real disagreement here. Even brief exposure to someone's behavior can give you a pretty good idea of who they are if the behavior they display is dramatic enough. I'm willing to be slightly more forgiving if the person in question is taking part in a high-stress endeavor...but, uh, only slightly. People still have to be responsible for their actions.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM

why did pokerstars actuallty sign up this guy? just to be able to have a wsopwinner again i guess?

because its one of the more reputbale sites and his behaviour doesnt really fit in with that.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why did pokerstars actuallty sign up this guy? just to be able to have a wsopwinner again i guess?

because its one of the more reputbale sites and his behaviour doesnt really fit in with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's like the posterboy for young gaming nerds.

not a bad sign up if you ask me.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 AM

This guy is a total social misfit. Total friggen nerd. Sit N Go robot idiot. And his sharkscope shows he might not even be long term winner.

The guy gets on TV and will always be remembered as a total freak.

--
http://auswalk.blogspot.com
Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM

I think Kahn is just a immature spoiled brat with low social skills. He has no impulse control. When I when a big pot, I may be doing a gorilla dance on the inside, but I try to act like I've been there before. Of course a big pot to me is anything. Him doing it to Humberto is just in my opinion though. That Humberto is a clown. He must be good though cause that act has to put a target on his back.

Ohio state guy is more of a cheerleader type. He was not what I would call a classy player, but I wouldn't say he was a classless jerk either, just too soccer mom like I guess.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:45 PM

I really hope that avatar isn't you.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really hope that avatar isn't you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You, sir, are a liar.