Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 02:53 AM

Default Chimpanzee Fight Question From El Diablo

"What odds would you set on a UFC world champion (your choice, answer for any or many weight classes) vs a 100 pound chimpanzee?"

Assuming the chimpanzee knew it was in a fight from the git go, the answer would depend on whether there are some lethal or semi lethal blows that the human is aware of. I don't know about that. If there isn't, the chimpanzee is the dead nuts.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Chimpanzee Fight Question From El Diablo

sorry i cant stop laughing
Old 11-30-2006, 03:09 AM

"Can't I fight human-style? By slowly poisoning his environment?"
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 AM

If the chimp were allowed to bite, scratch, gouge, etc. perhaps it would have a chance. Otherwise, the human fighter would have too much of a skill edge to lose. It would stand to reason that this edge would grow when moving up in weight class.

No doubt that chimps are going to be enormously strong but the amount of skill that a UFC type could bring to bear would be decisive.

A friend once had an involuntary battle with a full grown, adult orangutan when he went into a Malaysian preserve earlier than the guide's scheduled arrival. Though the orangutan was tough, my buddy eventually got the best of it.

Per his retelling, the orangutan had him by all four limbs, at which time they took to wrestling. The orangutan constantly bared its teeth, but never brought them into the fray. Certainly, had the orangutan had more malice in him it could've been ugly, but even in a determined pitched battle, my untrained friend was able to beat it away. From what I gather orangutans are more formidable than chimps if considering mass. Temperment would be a bit of a wild card.

To Sklansky's point, when my friend recounted the story to the guides, they were skeptical that man could beat ape, especially when he pointed out the alleged offender (which they later spotted). So anecdotally, at least in a Malysian game preserve, it is commonly thought that the simian would have an insurmountable edge, though this test case showed otherwise.

For more amusing monkey stories, seek out Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff". Apparently the space program chimps were real bastards.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:55 AM

Your friend got the orangutan to retreat. I doubt though that it would win a fight to the death.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:14 AM

Meh, I know chimps are extremely strong given their size, but I think people underestimate how lethal some of these top UFC/Pride guys are. Top UFC/Pride fighters I *think take apart a chimp rather easily.

*I'm just guessing but IMO.

Not to sidetrack but new question: How much of a chance does the baddest UFC/Pride fighter out there (Liddell, CroCop, Fedor, etc.) stand against a full grown Gorilla (silverback?)? Opinions?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:29 AM

I actually think you people are underestimating exactly how strong those things are. They're very, very strong.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 AM

chimps are stronger than humans, even UFC champions
Old 11-30-2006, 04:53 AM

People are underestimating the techniques used in ultimate fighting, particularly the submission holds.

If you've seen the original UFC's (1-4), nobody knew which martial arts actually worked and there were no weight classes or time limits. In these matches it became very evident how effective jujitsu is when a 170lb guy named Royce Gracie defeated opponents much larger and more athletic.

Nowadays, all the UFC fighters know what martial arts and techniques work and essentially use the same techniques (jujitsu/wrestling on ground and Mui-Thai kickboxing on feet). Therefore in the fights you see there's a lot of subtle defensive moves going on, and it's more striking lately (also due to the rules, judges decisions, and timelimits).

My points is that most people have no idea how effective jujitsu is on an untrained opponent. I have experience with this. A jujitsu expert could probably beat any untrained human on the planet in a life and death scenario.

The same submissions can be applied to a chimp, since their body is pretty similar to a human's.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 AM

bubbles - yes
king kong - no