Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2006, 11:47 PM

Default 6 max or full ring?

Hi guys/gals, I appreciate any of your input here.
I'll start with a little of background information. I have been playing poker for about 4 years but only for recreational purposes and never really knew much about the game. I got into online poker about 6 months ago and played $25 NL and MTT's. I have been about a break even player but didn't get to play as much as I would like to have played so I think that I'm a break even player from luck rather than skill. I decided that I want to move over to limit poker because the downswings are much less. I just finished reading the book SSH and and about to start TOP. I want to start at .50/1 and slowly work my way up to as high as I can get (10/20 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])Right now I am having trouble deciding whether to play 6 max for full ring games. I want to pick one or the other and move my way up through the limits playing the same type of table so that it will be easier adjustments. So here go some questions: Which type of table is more beatable at the small stakes? Medium stakes? High stakes? How does play compare from the two types of tables for example tight..agressive..passive..? What do you suggest someone who is just starting to learn holem to play. How differently is the play in 6 max from the stategies that Sklansky gives in his book SSH? I know that 10 max is more of a game of winning with straights and flushes compared to 6 max which top pair etc.. will win but what else is there? Anything else that you can think of that will help me decide which limits to play. I am not just looking at limits at the small stakes becuase I know it will be easier to win at either table but I am also looking into the future (well hopefully I will move up in limits) where the stakes will be more and the players will be better.

I aprreciate all your help. Thanks in advance!

Brian
Old 01-16-2006, 12:21 AM

Default Re: 6 max or full ring?

Dont post that many questions in a single post, first off. Ill answer one question for ya. Start at the small stakes full ring games. Although SSH is a phenomenal book that teaches fundamental concepts that apply in any limit game, it is intended for small stakes full ring games. Start there.

good luck
Old 01-16-2006, 12:42 AM

Definitely start with full ring.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

Start with full.

There are several reasons. First, the swings are less than shorthanded. Second, the books you are reading are geared about full handed poker, shorthanded is another animal.

Starting with full will allow learn the ins and outs of limit as cheeply as possible. Once you feel comfortable and have the bankroll, start working on your short handed
game.

There's more money to be made shorthanded and for me it's a much more enjoyable game.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:21 AM

Id say theres more skill involved with SH play- as your decisions will be made with more borderline hands, there is however more money in 6max.

I would go with full table first however, as it is less swingy and you can concentrate on playing your premium hands and position as well as possible.

ric
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 AM

If you like money, 6-max is the way to go.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:34 AM

Brian,
I think it is best to apply the concepts you learned from Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller et. al. to Full Ring games at the very beginning but try to move to the 6 max games as soon as possible. Feel like you are getting to know the ropes of things at the Full ring but move on. They are more profitable and much more fun (please read the last few articles in the 2+2 Internet Magazine by Ed Miller).
Old 01-16-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brian,
I think it is best to apply the concepts you learned from Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller et. al. to Full Ring games at the very beginning but try to move to the 6 max games as soon as possible. Feel like you are getting to know the ropes of things at the Full ring but move on. They are more profitable and much more fun (please read the last few articles in the 2+2 Internet Magazine by Ed Miller).

[/ QUOTE ]
That's kind of what I thought I should do. First make sure that I get the hang of limit poker and learn all the stragities at full ring and once I feel comfortable to move over to 6 max. It also seems like most people agree that more money can be made at 6 max but will the rake kill me at 6 max playing .50/1?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:52 PM

no the rake will not kill you...unless you are playing on some site that is raking $7 a hand perhaps.

The players are so much less skilled at .5/1 that you can easily make up for the extra BB's you lose to the rake.

If you can't even win .5/1 6-max then the reason is due your own inabilities, not the rake.
Also, if you can't beat .5/1 6-max you shouldn't even THINK about playing higher just because the rake will not hurt as much (unless, that is, you just want to give your money away even faster).