Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
(12) Dr. No 60 58.25%
(13) The Man with the Golden Gun 43 41.75%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Being told \"professional poker doesn\'t contribute to society.\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many jobs actually contribute to society?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably like 99% of jobs. off the top of my head, i can't think of a single "real job" that doesn't contribute. examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I haven't read this whole thread but was going to respond without reading more but this quote is a perfect entry point.

Fundamentally I disagree with this. I work in the oil and gas world. I am engineer who helps design control systems that help oil and gas facilities run properly and run safely. I contribute to society, but I contribute in a negative way. I think a lot of our jobs that contribute to society contribute in a negative way.

I know I am going to need to expand on that, so I will. I am not an activist or an environmentalist but regardless of that I fully understand that the culture we live in is raping our planet and for what? Economics. So do I contribute to the economic foundation of society? Yes, I do. Does a poker player? No, he does not. Do I contribute to the environmental foundation of society? Yes, I do - in a negative way. Does a poker player? No, he does not - in anyway. So although poker players do not actively contribute to society they also do nothing to harm society either, so they are somewhat neutral.

As small of a distinction as that is I think it is an important one.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if the place you worked Blew up...thered be no effect? Gas and oil...dont countries go to war for this? I think its funny for people to downplay their lack of contribution...theres an awesome tradeoff...MONEY...lets you provide for your family. Theres just too many of you guys losing alot of money, and then to think it also is completely useless to society as a whole makes you feel even worse!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably like 99% of jobs. off the top of my head, i can't think of a single "real job" that doesn't contribute. examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I haven't read this whole thread but was going to respond without reading more but this quote is a perfect entry point.

Fundamentally I disagree with this. I work in the oil and gas world. I am engineer who helps design control systems that help oil and gas facilities run properly and run safely. I contribute to society, but I contribute in a negative way. I think a lot of our jobs that contribute to society contribute in a negative way.

I know I am going to need to expand on that, so I will. I am not an activist or an environmentalist but regardless of that I fully understand that the culture we live in is raping our planet and for what? Economics. So do I contribute to the economic foundation of society? Yes, I do. Does a poker player? No, he does not. Do I contribute to the environmental foundation of society? Yes, I do - in a negative way. Does a poker player? No, he does not - in anyway. So although poker players do not actively contribute to society they also do nothing to harm society either, so they are somewhat neutral.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if the place you worked Blew up...thered be no effect? Gas and oil...dont countries go to war for this? I think its funny for people to downplay their lack of contribution...theres an awesome tradeoff...MONEY...lets you provide for your family. Theres just too many of you guys losing alot of money, and then to think it also is completely useless to society as a whole makes you feel even worse!

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Are you retarded or something? I make money at poker and always have.

I make money for oil and gas companies. If the place i worked at blew up and everyone died there would be some consequence - big oil companies would make a little less money until they found a replacement contract company to accomplish their plundering for them. There may be a little less money in the stock market - big deal.

Also, I dont' really understand what the [censored] you are talking about. Countries go to war over oil. that is not an argument that oil contributes positively to society. In fact, I would say that is a counter argument taht agrees with the thesis of my above post.

ps. BTW - wtf does jesus have to do with any of this?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:38 PM

ONe of the reasons I dislike playing poker, is because I feel it is completely and utterly a waste of people's talent. I look at Dan Neaugrano, Phil Ivey, and Doyle Brunson, and see people who can read people, and could actively contribute to society in a positive way, with their people abilities. I think the best example I could think of, is what would Stu Ungar have done with that incredible mind under different circumstances? If poker players were just going to go out and do something like day trade, or work in real estate, thats a different story, but if they could have helped a group of people, or contributed in a different way, than I think playing poker is a waste of talent.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ONe of the reasons I dislike playing poker, is because I feel it is completely and utterly a waste of people's talent. I look at Dan Neaugrano, Phil Ivey, and Doyle Brunson, and see people who can read people, and could actively contribute to society in a positive way, with their people abilities. I think the best example I could think of, is what would Stu Ungar have done with that incredible mind under different circumstances? If poker players were just going to go out and do something like day trade, or work in real estate, thats a different story, but if they could have helped a group of people, or contributed in a different way, than I think playing poker is a waste of talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

commy.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an illusion. Many poker pros would fail in the real world. Many have unique personalities that work only for poker.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an illusion. Many poker pros would fail in the real world. Many have unique personalities that work only for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, "many" poker pro's, but great people don't come along too often, and I hate to think they would have been lost because they got hooked on the easy "winning at cards." ok, raquetball time.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really important point here.

Same if you worked for the Tabacco industry.
Same if you worked for the fast food industry.
Same if you worked for the Alcohol industry.
Same if you worked for the forestry industry.
Same if you worked for the junk food industry.

If any of us worked for any of the companies in these industries, we would have fallen under the "productive" / "contributive" category.

Yet all of those industries are actively destroying something or people's lives are being sacrificed so that we can enjoy some of the freedoms we have today.

That is why it is really important to define what the hell "productive" or "contributing" really is. If you are a "productive" member of society by being the vice president of a tobacco company but your company helps thousands of people kill themselves every year, are you really contributing?

If I worked for a major weapons manufacturer and helped them create a faster missile whoms sole purpose is to kill human beings faster, under this thread's definition of productivity and contribution I would qualify, but do I really contribute to society?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] are you to dictate how they should or shouldn't use their talent???
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really important point here.

Same if you worked for the Tabacco industry.
Same if you worked for the fast food industry.
Same if you worked for the Alcohol industry.
Same if you worked for the forestry industry.
Same if you worked for the junk food industry.

If any of us worked for any of the companies in these industries, we would have fallen under the "productive" / "contributive" category.

Yet all of those industries are actively destroying something or people's lives are being sacrificed so that we can enjoy some of the freedoms we have today.

That is why it is really important to define what the hell "productive" or "contributing" really is. If you are a "productive" member of society by being the vice president of a tobacco company but your company helps thousands of people kill themselves every year, are you really contributing?

If I worked for a major weapons manufacturer and helped them create a faster missile whoms sole purpose is to kill human beings faster, under this thread's definition of productivity and contribution I would qualify, but do I really contribute to society?

[/ QUOTE ]

END OF THREAD!!
Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the [censored] are you to dictate how they should or shouldn't use their talent???

[/ QUOTE ]

reading comprehension yo