Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 07:51 PM

Default some thoughts about the Turn C/R and unknowns

i'm currently playing 5/10

I get myself into trouble a lot when I raise pf, get 1 caller and have position on him, continuation bet the flop and turn, and get c/r'ed there by defender.

A lot of the time I'll end up calling down w/ any decent A-good kicker thinking he assumed I missed and is therefore bluffing me when he thinks i'm weak.

I'm thinking this is definately one of my leaks and have decided lately to:

1.) against an unknown, FOLD

2.) only call down w/ A high or small pp against that villain in that situation when you've seen him make that exact move multiple times already

I've been using this strategy lately and it seems to be working better than before.

thoughts? i'm guessing a lot of ppl are going to say "duh! of coarse that's what you do!" but I just thought of it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: some thoughts about the Turn C/R and unknowns

It is of course, player dependant, but a turn check-raise is usually a sign of strength, not a bluff or semi-bluff. If you're seeing a lot of turn check-raises, it is a sign that you are probably bluffing and semi-bluffing the turn too often, and people are trying to take advantage of that when they have good hands. At least, that's the case if I'm the one check-raising the turn.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:33 PM

I don't mind doing it the first hand, a few lost bets can be more than made up with the large amount of information you stand to gain.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:24 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with a continuation bet when you miss the flop, but if you have been called and don't improve with the turn I think you have to assume you are beat and check unless you are playing against fairly loose player. Lot's of weak players go broke in NL games trying to play AK this way when they miss the flop. To paraphrase TJ Cloutier, "If I don't flop to it, I'm done with it."
Old 02-01-2006, 06:35 PM

this is a good question as I play alot of 5-10 myself (mainly 5 or 6max) and face this situaion fairly often. I guess you can a) bet and fold to a raise or b)ccheck the turn and call the impending river bet, I prefer the latter.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there is anything wrong with a continuation bet when you miss the flop, but if you have been called and don't improve with the turn I think you have to assume you are beat and check unless you are playing against fairly loose player. Lot's of weak players go broke in NL games trying to play AK this way when they miss the flop. To paraphrase TJ Cloutier, "If I don't flop to it, I'm done with it."

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much doesn't apply at all to soft limit games online. It's often a value bet on the turn.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:25 PM

This situation is very player dependent. There is a great article in the forum magazine that talks about the turn value check. Though this requires that u have a read on your opponent. If you dont have one i think it s a toss up whether u bet the turn or check it. I think there are good arguments for both.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:01 PM

I play on the non PT sites which I would say are softer but a turn CR is a very strong hand 90% of the time. TPTK no good.
Also another of my rules is the 1st one to go All-In has a very strong hand. Obviously this would not apply to this crowd.