Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 AM

Default moving up to chase fish

I am a six max player (mostly 2/4 and 3/6) and I keep an extensive buddy list to help me choose games. I am over-rolled for the limits I play. From time to time I come across one of my buddies playing way out of his league (a losing 2/4 player who is throwing $ around up at 10/20). Now 10/20 is not a limit I feel comfortable playing at yet, b/c I don't have the bankroll to support that limit.
My question is, is it ever a good decision(+EV) to take a shot at a limit thats clearly out of your range, to chase a total fish or guy on MEGA-TILT? Reward of being able to isolate and feast on a fish way out of his league vs. the negative of being in a game w/ 4 other 10-20ers(assuming they would be better players than me, or at least more experienced at that limit), who will certainly smell the fish quickly, and be trying to do the same thing as me.

thoughts?

Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Re: moving up to chase fish

You basically answered your own question when you said.
"I don't have a bankroll to support that limit" Few bad beats and your in trouble. My questions would be how big is your bankroll?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You basically answered your own question when you said.
"I don't have a bankroll to support that limit" Few bad beats and your in trouble. My questions would be how big is your bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

My roll is @$5500 (as of this morning, mind you).....less that the 300BB suggested minimum, but not by much. And I do play best when overrolled, b/c then I don't worry about the money. I would imagine I wouldn't be playing my normal aggro 6 max game if I were to play 10/20, but instead would be playing really tight(half scared??) and just waiting for a situation I have a clear edge in and specifically would be looking to target the player I followed up there.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:40 AM

1 fish does not make for a good table. If you're going to take a shot, the table needs to be:

a) very juicy with multiple fish
b) passive fish are preferable to LAG fish, less variance
c) Decide up front what you can lose, say take $400. Lose it an you're done, no matter how good the table.
d) Go back to your normal level when you're done, regardless of results.

It can be a great way to crank your bankroll, but it's a risky move. I took a shot at 15/30, normally a 5/10, and made a $2200 killing in one night....then mistakenly thinking I could compete in that game I lost nearly $5000 over the next 2 weeks.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:23 PM

yes
Old 04-24-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if you are able to able to get a seat directly to his left, it would be a good decision to take it.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 fish does not make for a good table. If you're going to take a shot, the table needs to be:

a) very juicy with multiple fish
b) passive fish are preferable to LAG fish, less variance
c) Decide up front what you can lose, say take $400. Lose it an you're done, no matter how good the table.
d) Go back to your normal level when you're done, regardless of results.

It can be a great way to crank your bankroll, but it's a risky move. I took a shot at 15/30, normally a 5/10, and made a $2200 killing in one night....then mistakenly thinking I could compete in that game I lost nearly $5000 over the next 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If hes a maniac 75/35 type and your to the left of him you the rest of the table could be all good players and u can still make a killing in a six max game from just him.

[censored] you dont even have to be on the left of the guy if the rest of the table doesnt know how to handle the player like that.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:29 PM

I read in someones blog about this, was heads up on pokerroom with some fish that as soon as he won a bit would want to play higher. I think the kid got in a huge hole and was playing super high before he made a comeback and won it all back. ANyone know what blog it was?
Old 04-25-2006, 12:29 AM

Its not a good idea.

If it is one limit about your current level and you have a large bankroll then it is fine.

A 2 limit jump though is bad. You get in over your head and it only takes a few beats before you are down a lot of money. The other side of the coin you run good and then you start to think you are better than you are, playing in bigger games, eventually variance catches up.

You are playing low limits so you shouldn't have any problems finding enough weak players.

Becoming undisciplined is something we all have to fight against.