Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: TV cooking contest shows

Well I practically neglected So You Think You Can Dance to watch 4 episodes of Top Chef in a row. Needless to say I was a little burned out by the end of it.

I watched the barbecue show, the reinventing family classics, the 3-person team challenge (with the elite dining club people), and the Latin show. My favorite episodes were the last two. The Latin cuisine looked delicious and it was really fun to see the variety.

I like the format of this show a lot and love the professional polished attitude of the judges. Especially like the way the judging panel discusses each of the dishes and comments on why they didn't like particular ones. A little overwhelming with the number of contestants for me to try to learn all their names and personalities. (Surprised to see Joey and Howie become such good buddies after they screamed at each other early on. Lol, men!)

I agree with you about Hung's arrogance. This guy is going to have some problems in life. He may be talented but his ego will really limit his growth.

[ QUOTE ]

Lia leaving seems a bit much. So her food was bland. That doesn't make it bad. Others were cited -- like Hung -- as outright bad. What gives here? We have lost Camille the first time she was ever at the bottom, while Howie survives multiple times and so does Hung. And now we lose Lia for not being as bad as the other dishes she's competing against.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Blarg, polenta and salmon? That just sounds horrible to me. I would never think to mix these two tastes.

I like Casey's attitude. Kind of liked Lia too and wanted to see her stay on and get a shot at more challenges. I was hoping Hung would go.

Overall, very interesting show and again I just really enjoyed the Latin cuisine. Yum!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:19 PM

Wow, weird. I wrote a response that didn't show. Oh well.

Anyway, glad you liked the program. It does seem like the class act of the three cooking shows.

I still think it's odd to get rid of Camille for her first time at the bottom while letting people like Howie hit the bottom multiple times(in an early show he didn't even finish plating his dish, and had to come out with only half of it on the plate!). And that Lia's making something merely bland was enough to get her kicked when other people, like the Indian girl who messed up twice in a row INCLUDING this episode, seem to miraculously ride it out.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 AM

Howie did not deserve to go when he made the unfinished dish. He was not the worst. Would you rather eat half of a good dish or a whole terrible dish? Howie has made a couple stupid mistakes. But he's also shown a lot of talent and potential.

Camille and Lia have never done anything interesting. I think you're giving way too much credit to Lia by saying that her salmon and polenta thing was just bland. This was a Latin-themed challenge, and she decides to make a strange terrible and uncreative dish that has no connection whatsoever to Latin cuisine. The thought of salmon+polenta makes me puke a little.

Yes, the Indian girl sucked again, but you have to eliminate the worst each week, and she hasn't been the worst yet. It's only a matter of time though. She won't last much longer.

So far this season, I've agreed with the judges on every elimination decision.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:08 AM

BTW they show Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares" on BBC and it's a REALLY good show.

I know they are remaking it here in America, but I have a feeling they will play up Ramsey's abusive Hell's Kitchen schtik and try to make it a comedy. The British version is great because these are real chefs who are really in danger of running their restaurants into bankruptcy, and Chef Ramsey really seems like he wants to help them. Also the chefs have that uniquely British brand of stoicism and understatement about their plight (and in the face of Ramsey's abuse) that it makes for great tv.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I know they are remaking it here in America, but I have a feeling they will play up Ramsey's abusive Hell's Kitchen schtik and try to make it a comedy. The British version is great because these are real chefs who are really in danger of running their restaurants into bankruptcy, and Chef Ramsey really seems like he wants to help them. Also the chefs have that uniquely British brand of stoicism and understatement about their plight (and in the face of Ramsey's abuse) that it makes for great tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

i just watched last nights & it's EASILY my fav hour of tv each week. i'm sure much of the credit for the turnaround is the word spreading that Ramsey & BBC are helping the restaurant - but even still - it's amazing watching what this guy does to a place. this is going to sound lame, but i go from laughing, to amazement, to choked up - when he takes some poor business & turns it into a money making machine for them.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Howie did not deserve to go when he made the unfinished dish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is wrong by definition.

[ QUOTE ]
He was not the worst. Would you rather eat half of a good dish or a whole terrible dish? Howie has made a couple stupid mistakes. But he's also shown a lot of talent and potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Camille and Lia also BOTH won before, too. Howie has made a terrible dish before(the dry pork) and one dish that could have been an instant dismissal. As to what I would like in a meal, I'd like what I paid for. If I ordered surf and turf, or whatever, I expect both. Not a story.

[ QUOTE ]
Camille and Lia have never done anything interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

By awarding both of them top honors before, the judges disagree with you here.

By the way, what's with Howie and all the friggin' pork? If he could find a way to make pork popsicles, he'd probably do it. I don't see him as necessarily leading the way in creativity.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're giving way too much credit to Lia by saying that her salmon and polenta thing was just bland. This was a Latin-themed challenge, and she decides to make a strange terrible and uncreative dish that has no connection whatsoever to Latin cuisine. The thought of salmon+polenta makes me puke a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like salmon and I like polenta. She didn't do too well with spices, though, and that sounds like a more legit criticism. Hey, she screwed up. So did everybody on the show so far, including Howie for sure and multiple times. This was Camille's first time at the bottom. You've got others with multiple times at the bottom.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the Indian girl sucked again, but you have to eliminate the worst each week, and she hasn't been the worst yet. It's only a matter of time though. She won't last much longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
So far this season, I've agreed with the judges on every elimination decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering what's special about that Mohawk guy. Did he ever win a challenge? I wonder when he's gonna go.

Seems clear it's between the black dude and Hung for the final spots.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

i just watched last nights & it's EASILY my fav hour of tv each week. i'm sure much of the credit for the turnaround is the word spreading that Ramsey & BBC are helping the restaurant - but even still - it's amazing watching what this guy does to a place. this is going to sound lame, but i go from laughing, to amazement, to choked up - when he takes some poor business & turns it into a money making machine for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

What day and hour is this on? Is there any way Americans can see it? We get a lot of channels, but no BBC. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Shame, because pretty much everything non-fiction BBC does is absolutely top notch and a welcome relief.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 PM

i'm in vegas & BBC is in the 300's on cox cable. it's on (first run) thursday's at i think 5...maybe 6. i always dvr it & watch it later @ night. i'm going to look for previous seasons on dvd though...i dig it that much...i'll let you know if i find it.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:28 PM

blarg,

Yes, Howie needs to branch out from pork in the same way that Brian needs to branch out from fish. But of course, a one trick pony won last year, so who knows.

I like the gay mohawk dude, but he just seems to have too many ambitious ideas that his skill level can't handle.

T2L,

Do you get the Fine Living network? There's a show that has a similar premise of the "restaurant makeover." I forget who the chef is, but I remember she was on Iron Chef once.

There's also a show where they follow people around who are trying to open a restaurant. It's interesting to see the whole process of remodeling the space, hiring chefs, buying equipment, etc. It's funny how they always have some major crisis or problems right up until opening night.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:52 AM

For those of you who like Ramsey shows, BBC America also shows 'The F Word'. This one takes place in one of his restaurants and he brings in a different threesome to cook the 'easy to make' meals. The 50 guests then decide if they want to pay for each dish.

It's a really good show...I've seen 2 seasons of it, but they haven't shown any repeats for the last month or 2. Look out for it though when they do.