Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

Thnx, can u link us to your $55 SnG pushbot strategy
Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 AM

Are you gonna be mod of BBV!?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 AM

also, why do you feel SSHE &HEPFAP are outdated books for limit HE?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 AM

ok, here's my go:

1) suppose you and 999 other players who were randomly selected from a Sunday Million are playing a MTT w/ the same structure as a regular sunday million. Estimate your % chance of winning here on average. Also, assuming that one's % chance of winning a MTT like this can max out somewhere (i.e. they are the best player evar, thus their winning % is maxed) depending on their skill set and some other variables, what would you guess this % is?

2) what sports/games do you enjoy playing other than poker?

3) do you think time travel will ever be possible while humans still inhabit the earth?

4) if you had to choose to be one of the following and they all pay the same salary, which would you choose (and rank them if you want to): a)teacher b)doctor c)lawyer d)poker player e)astronaut

5) do you like the Electoral College system?

if any of this is incoherent, it's 4am
Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thnx, can u link us to your $55 SnG pushbot strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote it up for Party's old structure/players so it's pretty much thoroughly useless now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
also, why do you feel SSHE &HEPFAP are outdated books for limit HE?

[/ QUOTE ]

Few people really play like the default players mentioned in those book anymore...they were written for calling station games, and today's games are full of LAGtards.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you gonna be mod of BBV!?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe

[ QUOTE ]
ok, here's my go:

1) suppose you and 999 other players who were randomly selected from a Sunday Million are playing a MTT w/ the same structure as a regular sunday million. Estimate your % chance of winning here on average. Also, assuming that one's % chance of winning a MTT like this can max out somewhere (i.e. they are the best player evar, thus their winning % is maxed) depending on their skill set and some other variables, what would you guess this % is?

My guess is .3-4%...the best would be around .5%? Dunno, this one's been debated forever

2) what sports/games do you enjoy playing other than poker?

I used to be a decent chess player and also played soccer. of course, that was before I stopped going outside.

3) do you think time travel will ever be possible while humans still inhabit the earth?

only on the quantum level, which precludes most movies but not all of them

4) if you had to choose to be one of the following and they all pay the same salary, which would you choose (and rank them if you want to): a)teacher b)doctor c)lawyer d)poker player e)astronaut

astronaut if I don't have to do anything to get there, otherwise poker player

5) do you like the Electoral College system?

other than particularly in 2000, yes, and it would have been fine anyway if Palm Beach county could have designed a ballot properly

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-23-2007, 02:49 PM

are you saying you'd have a 1.3 to 1.4% chance of winning? and 1.5% is the best?
Old 01-23-2007, 02:54 PM

No, he's saying he has a .3-.4% chance, i.e. 3-4 out of 1000.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Maybe this is a little NVG, but I'm hoping you don't mind answering a few questions about gigabet and mining the step 5s.

Can you elaborate on the "gigabet cheating" that you mentioned earlier? I know he disappeared and I've read several threads on him cheating/busto, but never any real details about the cheating. I don't intend any disrespect for him because I'm one troll who definitely misses his posts.

It seems like I remember you stating that one of the very best step 5 players had a massive tell. Since Party is dead to us US players now, can you at least reveal the tell if not the player? I've always been curious.

Lastly, what did you think about the "Gigabet Theories of Stack Sizes" thread where he explained the Q3o hand? There are some intriguing concepts for my feeble poker mind, but is this something that you actively use in your game?

Thanks a ton. Very interesting so far.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:40 PM

Gigabet cheating is not my story to tell and I heard it second hand, so on the off chance it's false I am not gonna repeat it. He was almost definitely not cheating while I was datamining, though; that came later.

I'm pretty sure genoa_st was the guy with the tell (although it might've been spyhard...I'm not sure now without my notes). It was an absolutely ridiculous thing where he would minbet into people every time he flopped 2 pair+. Yay implied set odds.

Block theory: I personally hardly ever use it. Almost no one does, and when they use it, most of the time they totally miss the point of what it was supposed to be about. I'll take a crack at explaining it, but please don't ask for more if you don't get it, because it's sort of pointless and just derails most of the threads it's brought up in...

Okay, so you have 30K chips 5 handed in an SNG. The four other guys have 5K, 10K, 15K and 20K. The 5K stack pushes into your BB and you have 92o getting, like, 1.8:1, so it's -EV to call by a fair bit. Gigabet would call here. Why? Because winning would get him 35K chips on the bubble and he can properly bully everyone, while losing still lets him keep the chip lead and he can still raise very light (also making his table image so maniacal that people won't reshove any two on him, knowing he calls light).

That's the entire theory and I have no clue why hardly anybody ever got it, especially because it so rarely comes up in an actual game situation.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing: most 18-24 year olds in this game right now have gone from zero to six figures without ever making any stops along the way. As a result, you get lots of yvesaints and not much else to show for it when the roll takes a hit for whatever reason. You also get tons of stress, because poker is such a high variance game (for you especially) and the self-confidence you need to win can vanish at any point. Add in this whole poker groupie BS and the fact that all your friends your age are either spending four figs a night or happen to be sandwich artists...it's a [censored] up environment to grow up in. I might be the old man of this poker generation, but I'm very sure I'm right about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Adanthar,
Don't you think this can apply to people of all ages who come into money quickly through poker ie Chris Moneymaker etc?

I know many people under 22 who have tons of money yet manage it very well. While many of them spend 4 figs at night at a bar on occasion they also have 100's of thousands invested or saved.

Also I agree that variance can be killer mentally but that if you practice proper BR managment and more importantly play at a level your comfotable at you should be fine. I was overrolled for 5/10 yet played 2-4 and 3-6 until I was comfotable with taking the associated swings.

Also these are more comments then questions but I really enjoyed reading the thread....question mark?