Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Stud Hi (Too ambitious?)

I always like a pair with an ace. But in this case, I can't show a strong front, and one of my pairs is down an out.

At least aces were live so I decided to limp in and see what develops. I don't want to get too results oriented here, and I wasn't planning on limping here just to hit a case card, it was mainly for an ace, or to see what else develops.

Would you think this is a 50/50 decision to get involved here?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.88 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___double-bets
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (4.44 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.44 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

River - (7.44 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (9.44 BB)
Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Stud Hi (Too ambitious?)

Looks ok. With seat 2, why do you think he is on fd. I would bet 6th because you have outs when behind and when ahead you get more out of draws.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Being in last poisition, it is easy to limp in with a wide range of hands, the fact that you have a suited ace is a big bonus to limp in with.

I realised that the spade was a scare card on 6th street, but I would still have bet out here. First to charge the other drawing hand and secondly to see where you are.

I may have checked the river as you didn't fill up and two possible flush draws out there.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM

I figured he'd drop every junk hand on fourth except for a 4-flush, which people just don't want to let go of. And I am getting tired of betting into a made flush and always having them re-raise back when I'm only holding trips. Seems I end up losing one more bet that way. Maybe that's a leak? But it just seems to many times at these tables I'm right and they have a flush here.

On the other hand, the guy in seat #2 normally plays in the 5-10 games (I've watched him), and also I have been told he does a lot of 10-20 stud. I'm still amazed at how often I will do things like check-raise with obvious trips, but these (higher calibre?) players just refuse to believe it. I guess that is because those games are a lot more psychological? Or maybe they are just some lucky kids taking shots. In this case I was probably lucky because a 3 was already out, making him feel I only had 2 pair made I assume.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 PM

On 6th street, if you bet, what is the chances of the fd raising and knocking out the other seat. Even if he did, you still have around a 20% chance of filling up and getting money of him on the river through c/r.

It could have been really bad if you bet and got raised on the river.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 PM

I'd fold third. A goodly portion of the potential value of a hand like this comes from making trips and getting called. Fourth and fifth are good. Bet sixth. Maybe someone's draw came in, but you're probably still best. Even if you're not, you can always fill. I like the river bet. Checking seventh actually makes more sense than checking sixth, I think.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:52 AM

For the love of God please bet 6th street. Why would you check sixth and bet seventh, your hand certainly didnt improve.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM

If I play this on 3rd, I'm raisin!!! Bet 6th. Check/call 7th unimproved.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I play this on 3rd, I'm raisin!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

reason?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 PM

I like the way you played this, I too would probably have limped 3rd due to the fact that no one is raising it here, and no one is saying I have a lot better than a low pair. Your live Ace is nice, but the fact that there is a dead 3 hurts your chance for trips, which is generally what I'm looking for with a low pair like that.
Everything else looks fine except 6, no one has said that they have trips beat yet.