Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 06-19-2006, 06:09 PM
 is offline

Default Who Else Plans to \"Go Dark\" During the WSOP

People who plan to actually be at the final table notwithstanding, who else plans to obscure the results of the Main Event until it airs in order to optimize viewing pleasure?

I've done this for the last 2 years, and honestly, it's been a painful experience. Aside from the fact that I have apparently been missing out on some awesome media coverage and deprive myself of SportsCenter for a good week and CardPlayer for a good two months, I usually find out before the damn thing airs anyway.

So, I'd just be curious to hear who else plans to "go dark" during the WSOP until the Main Event airs. If so, what's your strategy to actually accomplish this? Lastly, convince me it's not worth it to deprive myself of all the real-time WSOP hooplah.

That is all.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Who Else Plans to \"Go Dark\" During the WSOP

its pretty useless. i have tried in the past but if i dont see it on here or other sites, it pops up in conversations and other areas.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 PM

If your a part of the poker world it is pretty much impossible to not find out who won before it airs no matter how much you try. Just watch the coverage....I think it's the better way to go.

Now that I think of it with poker being so big lately it's almost impossible to not find out who won if your a part of this world at all.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:43 PM

You would have to miss about 4+ months worth of coverage since it will take that long for the ME to be shown on TV. Are you really willing to do that? I'm not.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 PM

why not just buy the pay-per-view and watch it live?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM

Barny Boatman wins this year.

Problem solved.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM

Location: Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

[ QUOTE ]
Tiffany Williamson wins this year.

Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYPMF
Old 06-19-2006, 07:11 PM

I try to avoid knowing who won poker tournaments before they air, but I don't think trying to avoid the Main Event results is worth it. It's very likely that you will find out anyway, maybe by seeing it on the news somehow, or someone casually mentioning it somewhere you're not expecting. Accept that you will know the winner, but maybe you can avoid hearing who else made the final table and things like that.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 PM

why not play the main event and win yourself
Old 06-19-2006, 09:12 PM

Its just not worth the hassle to try to go dark. Ive tried this the last two wsop's and failed.

In 04 i accidently read in sports illistrated the winners name (raymer) at the time i never heard of him before and i just read one short sentence. The name didint sink in and i forgot it. Then a couple weeks b4 04 wsop aired PokerStars was nice enough to have a big pop up congratulating Greg Raymer for his WSOP win.

In 05' i heard over the radio ( a non poker show) that a mortgage broker won the event. So a couple episodes in i knew either Steve Dan. or joe hachem won.

Its just not worth the hassle. You have to avoid every poker site, poker forum, and sportcenter for a few months. And even then u might find out by some passing bystander bringing it up or reading it on some news scroll.