Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

Yeah the NYT got alot of information there.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah the NYT got alot of information there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robert K is really ignorant. Talk to the police, dont talk to the press - oddly the police will help us when push comes to shove, the press is out to screw us. Every NY Club operator would essentially say the same thing, none of the club operators would discourage police involvement if there was a problem - life and safety comes before poker.

“Robert K. said a guard frisked people entering the office on his earlier visits last week. He said the same operators were shut down by the police at another Manhattan location recently. They are not raking out of the pot,” and they should not be considered illegal, he said. Parlor owners who charge hourly rates for each player have argued that the practice is consistent with paying to play billiards, but the police have said that it is illegal."

"one of which, the Broadway Club, was a few blocks from the scene of Friday’s shooting."

that was a fun night [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

“He was a wonderful person. It’s senseless and upsetting,” she said. Asked whether Mr. DeSena had loved poker, she said, “Yes, he did, and he loved the Yankees, too.”

this brings a tear to my eye. RIP Frank the Yank.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:52 PM

All I can say is Wow. Terrible news, Frank was a sweetheart of a guy and no one deserves to lose their life in such a horrible way. I got a phone call after it happened but didn't hear the name til this evening. My heart goes out to his family and I really hope the NYPD catches the scumbags asap.

As for the comments about it being easy to keep the games secure, you can only do so much if a person or group of people is really that determined to hit the spot they are getting in. You can't expect the bouncer who is earning a few hundred dollars to risk his life, I know in a perfect world he would be able to keep them out but unfortunately for Frank it's harder than it seems. And it's almost impossible to know who's getting invited to a game, you would like to think that you can trust the people you have played with for years but you never know, desperate people commit desperate acts and people talk and talk and talk no matter how much you stress to them that their discretion is required. I bet that train to AC will be packed every trip, players need to feel safe and if it means spending a few dollars and wasting a few hours travel time it is worth it.

Say goodbye to poker in NYC, this will only give the powers that be more of a reason to go after clubs and operators, you won't get any of the close minded legislators to realize that anytime you make something illegal you create an underground that operates with different rules and standards. It's so silly to think that we can't play in State licensed rooms that are able to provide the protection we deserve. It's a win win for everyone involved but sadly I don't think it will ever happen in NY.

God Bless ya Frank
Old 11-03-2007, 11:31 PM

Yikes That is some horribly shocking news. I was on my way to the club around 1:30 am. I saw a bunch of NYPD cars out side with yellow tape on the street. I thought the place got raided. I did find it odd that there was tape and lots of action. I had no idea it was a robbery and some one was shot and killed. That is so sad. I have been playing at a few clubs for years I have been in one raid which was not so bad. Generally these environments are safe and fun. I am so sorry to here about that man, my deepest sympathies to his family and people that knew him. This was definitely a harsh and rude awakening to the sick realities of the world we live in. Speaking for my self I can say I will be staying away from the underground seen, Although I will miss playing with everybody. I met a lot of cool people in these places and there was always something to do. I really hope they catch these A- HOLES! I pray nobody has to experience something like that ever again.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Robert K is really ignorant. Talk to the police, dont talk to the press

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, screw the press. They have alterior motives.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 AM

Does anyone know if any previous card room robberies in memory turned violent? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Some news stories said that this time the guy in the cage got worked over, but I'm thinking specificaly about loss of life.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the press is out to screw us.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this might be true in general, this article doesn't strike me as particularly ignorant, biased or bigoted. Rather, it shows how the people playing in these games are just regular guys, dispelling the image that some might have of poker being a shady hustle.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the press is out to screw us.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this might be true in general, this article doesn't strike me as particularly ignorant, biased or bigoted. Rather, it shows how the people playing in these games are just regular guys, dispelling the image that some might have of poker being a shady hustle.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But both said they were surprised that Mr. DeSena, a gentle husband and the father of a teenage son, had been involved in the shadowy, sometimes dangerous world of poker games, where locations are spread by word of mouth and e-mail.

[/ QUOTE ]

^Biased. Look at the word usage, the sentence structure. It implies that usually "gentle husbands and fathers" don't play poker, only shadowy figures do.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Good god. Condolences to family and friends.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:57 PM

Although I did not know Frank to personally, I have played with him on many occassions. I've even sat him down in some games. In no way can this blog do him any justice, however it is nice to see him talked about so highly. He was indeed a very kind person, to say the least. He would never complain, enjoyed his Yankees and enjoyed his poker. When I seen his face in the paper today it sunk in even more. This is a devasting tragedy.