Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: An Unprecedented Time: Teenagers and Poker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would think selling drugs would be the only fair comparison. It seems so much more common for a teenager to become a self-made millionaire through poker than anything other than drug dealing, or baseball, basketball and soccer. The athletes should be a fair comparison as well, since only the top .0001% of them make millions, which is probably pretty close to the amount of millionaire teenage poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]
a serious difference here is that just about anyone who aced their math SATS could make a lot of money playing poker. most people never pick it up because they are scared of risk or never fully understand it, but i'm guessing anyone who graduates with a degree in electrical engineering could be a winning player. its much harder to make it in pro sports than it is in pro poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think being real good at math is a big advantage for nl compared to people who are decent at math.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 AM

How many online poker pros do you think make >100k/yr? I would wager less than 2k.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many online poker pros do you think make >100k/yr? I would wager less than 2k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently or have in the past?

The timeframe is sooo crucial, obviously the number is way higher if you go back to PP days.

Right now I think the number is a few hundred, maybe 1k.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Almost anybody could make >100k/yr if they really wanted to. Someone who could only beat $25NL for a modest winrate could make this much if they had no social life and were willing to grind 14 hrs/day. Most people here would call that stupid, but there are plenty of Americans working that many hours and not taking home anything close to what this grinder would make.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost anybody could make >100k/yr if they really wanted to. Someone who could only beat $25NL for a modest winrate could make this much if they had no social life and were willing to grind 14 hrs/day. Most people here would call that stupid, but there are plenty of Americans working that many hours and not taking home anything close to what this grinder would make.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a lot of friends that want to make over 100k/year and would be willing to grind 14hrs/day. Can you show them how?

FWIW, I'm so sick of the line "I can do it if I wanted to." People who say this kind of lines NEVER want to do anything that requires effort and use that excuse for not accomplishing shiet. Here's the thing, effort and drive don't equate success; they improve your chances but they don't make guarantees. So unless you have showed long-term wise you can do something, please don't tilt me by saying "I could've done this, done that if I wanted to and really put my mind to it." I'll be the first to bust your bubble. No you f'ing can't until you show you can do it.

Ok,

/tilt.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 AM

6ptbb/100 at 6-max $25NL = $3 * ~75hands/hr =$2.25/hr/table *8 tables = $18/hr. $18 * 14=$252/day * 360 days = ~$91k. I assume rakeback would put them over 100k but I don't feel like calculating that right now. If they can play 10 tables, get more hands per hour, or beat $50NL for anything more than 3bb/100, they can make over $100k from play alone. Obviously this would be insane and very difficult for anyone without a gun to their head to accomplish, but it is possible.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously this would be insane and very difficult for anyone without a gun to their head

[/ QUOTE ]

8 tabling 14 hours a day, I think after a few days I'd be begging the guy to pull the trigger.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 AM

OP,

No, We are a group of lucky m*therf*ckers who happened to stumble on the 2p2 square during when it was raining donks.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6ptbb/100 at 6-max $25NL = $3 * ~75hands/hr =$2.25/hr/table *8 tables = $18/hr. $18 * 14=$252/day * 360 days = ~$91k. I assume rakeback would put them over 100k but I don't feel like calculating that right now. If they can play 10 tables, get more hands per hour, or beat $50NL for anything more than 3bb/100, they can make over $100k from play alone. Obviously this would be insane and very difficult for anyone without a gun to their head to accomplish, but it is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I spend less than what I make, I wouldn't have debt and my life wouldn't be miserable. What a concept! But living life that way isn't my cup of tea. I know I can do it though, if I put my mind to it. After all, anything is possible.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:06 AM

I'm one of the 18 year old 200NL semi-pros who play to pay for college etc. I really wish I was a few years older and had access to the PartyPoker goldmine, but I was too young and probably wouldn't have handled myself well.

I certainly want to build as fast as I can while the games are still decent.