Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 PM

Default $27 MTT: Can I make this call on the river?

After villain checked the flop, and instacalled my lead on the turn, can I make this min raise call on the river. I believed I was making a think value bet on the river if villain had a missed flush.

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP1: 2,725
MP2: 3,030
CO: 2,955
BTN: 2,925
SB: 3,630
Hero (BB): 2,850
UTG: 2,190
UTG+1: 3,825
UTG+2: 2,870

Pre-Flop: (45) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG calls 30, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls 30, <font color="red">MP1 raises to 100</font>, 4 folds, Hero calls 70, UTG calls 70, UTG+2 folds

Flop: (345) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks

Turn: (345) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 250</font>, UTG calls 250, MP1 folds

River: (845) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 375</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to 750</font>, Hero ?????
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Re: $27 MTT: Can I make this call on the river?

yeah i call here, i think 2pr if good enough of the time to make it profitable. if he checked flop looking to check raise i think he would raise turn. interesting hand though as it's quite hard to put him on a range especially with the limp/call pre flop. once it gets to the river i'd say any random two face cards are his most likely holdings AJ/AT/KQ/KJ/QJ and 98 if you're unlucky.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 AM

You have the J high flush. Only thing that beats you is something like

Ah Ah xh xh
Kh Kh xh xh
Qh Qh xh xh

I doubt he plays his hand like this though

Edit: I didnt see the straight flush out there.

He could have 3h 4h 5h 6h for the nuts. I would fold
Old 11-27-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After villain checked the flop, and instacalled my lead on the turn, can I make this min raise call on the river. I believed I was making a think value bet on the river if villain had a missed flush.

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP1: 2,725
MP2: 3,030
CO: 2,955
BTN: 2,925
SB: 3,630
Hero (BB): 2,850
UTG: 2,190
UTG+1: 3,825
UTG+2: 2,870

Pre-Flop: (45) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG calls 30, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls 30, <font color="red">MP1 raises to 100</font>, 4 folds, Hero calls 70, UTG calls 70, UTG+2 folds

Flop: (345) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks

Turn: (345) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 250</font>, UTG calls 250, MP1 folds

River: (845) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 375</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to 750</font>, Hero ?????

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ OP's hand converter
Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 AM

Seriously though, this is a tough spot.

I have said this many times to hands similar to this. HE HAS ACE-KING.

I have seen soooo many limp/call AK hands that play out similar to this lately that it makes me want to vomit.

I am trying to get into the minds of the donks. I have done pretty well, the only part that is throwing me off is the PREFLOP action. 99% of the time I can get in their head and figure out the rest of the action but have yet to figure out whats going on in their heads preflop. So lets just skip to the flop.

FLOP:

"Sweet, gutshot! maybe I can check and hit on the turn"

TURN:

"Sweet, I just nailed it! Im glad I limp called PF so they have no clue what I have... OMG he just bet, I will slow play since I have the nuts."

RIVER:

"Wow, the stone cold nuts. I played this hand like a genius, he has no clue what I have. WOW, he bets 375, I cant hand read at all and have no clue what he has. He has bet the turn and river so he probably has a decent hand but I will just min-raise anyways. If the river was a club I would definitely go all in though hoping he doesnt have the flush."
Old 11-27-2007, 04:53 AM

On this board, and with UTG's line, i think i like c/c on the river better than blocking/betting thin for value. I can't think of that many worse hands in his range that will call a bet, but there should be quite a few that can only win by bluffing. C/C also loses the least when he shows some ridic AK/22 or 98.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:31 AM

Sorry about the hand convertor guys. I had JT hearts if their was any discrepancy.

The biggest problem getting in these low limit tournaments in the amount of donks that limp call AK, and AQ. It's so difficult to put them on these hands since they're also limp calling Ax, Kx, and everything suited. lol. Damn donkeys, got to get through these mindfields.

Btw luckbox hit the nuts on the turn...