Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 AM

Default $4/180 AQ on the button overly aggressive?

Sorry if the hand isn't the most exciting, I'm a tournament novice and know I need a lot of help. I just second guess how I play hands and figured I better start posting, not just reading. I just moved to this table 3 hands prior so I do not have any reads. I sometimes think my bets are too large and that I get overly aggressive, but I know I don't want to bet too small. Thanks for any input its greatly appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

SB (t63)
BB (t1695)
UTG (t4548)
UTG+1 (t10239)
MP1 (t1990)
MP2 (t2960)
MP3 (t3239)
CO (t1211)
Hero (t3770)

Preflop: Hero is Button with , .
4 folds</font>, MP3 calls t150, 1 fold</font>, Hero raises to t600</font>, 1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t450.

Flop: (t1413) , , (3 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero bets t1175</font>, MP3 raises to t2350</font>, Hero raises to t3170</font>, MP3 calls t289 (All-In).

Turn: (t7222) (3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t7222) (3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t7222

The result wasn't good, but that doesn't matter to me as long as I played my hand correct. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: $4/180 AQ on the button overly aggressive?

You played it fine
Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You played it fine

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2007, 01:17 AM

1. you make a value raise in position for several reasons: a) get $$$ in pot b) charge the blinds c) get the limper to check to you on flop so you can get free card if you choose or c-bet and hope he folds if u miss.

2. the flop bet was a bit large for that board. bet a bit less when u have the ace and when you don't have the ace. please ask me to expand if you don't understand why.

3. his raise is concerning he isn't afraid of the ace but you have to go with this hand so good all in.

any questions write back and good luck learning. i know im still learning and its fun
Old 12-01-2007, 01:47 AM

I made a flop bet that size for a couple reasons (could very not be good reasons) but this is what I was thinking.

1.) If he had Ax other than AJ or A4 he would call my larger bet and I gain value there and I move all in on the turn to put as much pressure as possible on him to fold.

2.) I knew I was pretty much getting my chips in the middle no matter what (which I wasn't sure was the right thinking once I thought about the hand later) but if he was on the flush draw then I would be charging him immensely on the flop and I was moving all in if he check raised.

But the mini raise on the turn is what bothered me, that seems all to often that you are up against a big hand, this time he ended only having A4 so I actually wasn't in as horrible shape as I could have been.

But I've tended to bet on the larger side, 65 - 75% on my c-bets. I just figure at this level they will call any reasonable size bet, thus I end up getting more value out of my good hands.

But I should pay more attention to board texture and make bets more on the lines of that, but I would be lost there with my lack of tournament experience for now.

but thank you for the feedback. I need all I can get.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:47 AM

bad beat! (nh)
Old 12-01-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The result wasn't good, but that doesn't matter to me as long as I played my hand correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think u played this hand fine, and this is the right mindset, if u intend to improve and honestly analyze your play. GL and pls post some more hands.