Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: $2200 HU turbo SNG full tilt

I don't see what's so bad with limp calling if he's raising 90% of the time to limps... you increase your equity against his range I believe and have position in a bigger pot. You're going to get a ton of action on low boards and get paid off more often when you hit your set.

Anyways, as to the postflop action, I think this play is fine, you're getting your money in better when the turn bricks and you have more equity and you're going to play smaller pots when scare cards hit the turn and your equity against his range is less.

There are reads that would change your line IMO, but nothing you've said makes me think this line isn't good. A lot of players are going to lead the turn with any spade and your hand is pretty underepped up to this point.

Also, vin alluded to turn decisions on scary boards and whatnot. I'm assuming you have an edge over your opponent and feel comfortable playing against him in most spots. If you're not I wouldn't recommend such a line, but given how you feel villain plays it doesn't seem to be a bad line at all.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 AM

i dont think you guys get it

he has a set on a drawy flop. all this talk of increasing equity is silly. he is significantly +EV against any draw. if the guy has a flush/straight so be it (still have 40% equity). these are great flops for sets. get the money in on the flop because they will pay with top pair/two pair/draws.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think you guys get it

he has a set on a drawy flop. all this talk of increasing equity is silly. he is significantly +EV against any draw. if the guy has a flush/straight so be it (still have 40% equity). these are great flops for sets. get the money in on the flop because they will pay with top pair/two pair/draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is right. A lot of scare cards can come not only for you, but also for villain. He might pay you off with top pair or two pair here, reading you for a draw, while a scare card on the turn might kill the action.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:54 AM

it's not just scare cards (although that too), it's assessing if this is a flop villain will like. it hits sooo many hands that i think the answer is yes most of the time. if he doesn't like his cards on the flop, he's not going to like it on the turn and then you're not getting jack on the turn anyway.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 AM

He pays off two pair on a non scary turn too and all those combo draws lose a ton of value and probably feel they are priced in on a missed turn where our equity is a lot > than our equity versus most of the stuff he gets it in on the flop with.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 AM

TBH I'm not sure how I feel about this hand.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 AM

didn't read any of the responses but i like your line, especially against this kind of villain, although at this blind level i don't think i would never l/c eights pre, but if i had i would prolly play it like this.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 AM

ukdave32 pwns
Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 AM

Also, you say it doesnt look like a monster? or its the last hand he would put you on, look at your line and tell me what hand your not trying to protect there on the turn that he would possible beat and call you with? your not getting called by just a flush draw, or even combo draws here, so he is only calling w/ a higher set, made flush, or AQ (w/ A of spades) MAYBE... I doubt it at this level... so yes, your hand does look like a monster, and you force him to only call you with hands that have you killed, personally, I really dont like this line at all and have to agree with DDBeast here... preflop, fine, whatever, but post flop, you play your hand exactly how it is, a monster thats nervous on a drawy board...
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM

Didnt see second page of responses, but at the 2200s, honestly, who (with a loose image as he has been described as), doesnt see this line coming from a monster, limp/call, call, shove... I REALLY doubt 2 pair is going to be super happy to get it all in on a blank turn, as the play was so obvious, flop yes, probably, but on the turn, he can't be too thrilled about his two pair, a million cards will get him off any hand he could have been hooked on on the flop, and it's just a bad line IMO, your hand is played exactly how it is, and I feel like your forcing him to only call you with hands that beat you on the turn (MAYBE getting called by top two sometimes, I guess your image comes into play here as well), but I think your forcing your opponent to play the hand / draw correctly, and seeing his image explained makes me think there are alot better ways to extract money from him than the way that you do it here.