Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Default I think I froze...

Just as soons Seke2 and Spee encouraged (here ) me to put my chips in play and i get back to an average stack....I do this:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (7 handed) converter

BB (t12017)
UTG (t27655)
MP1 (t23120)
Hero (t24640)
CO (t23850)
Button (t29346)
SB (t31859)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t2100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t4800) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t2400</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t7200
Old 03-23-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: I think I froze...

Meh, I'm capable of folding this to ensure that I have a big enough stack to attack the blinds, you're only clean outs are J's and there is only 3 of them that don't complete a flush draw, against somebody that can bust you meh.

Cheers!
John
Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 PM

I agree. You whiffed, if he's been throwing chips around that's one thing but a fold here isn't out of whack.

Keep at em and gl!
Old 03-23-2006, 08:39 PM

As John idicates, your fold is not horrible here. Although if one can assume the opponent is not trying to flush, then you are gettng 3-1 odds on a 6-1 shot, which could be worthwhile with implied odds (assuming the opponent doesn't have QJ and will pay off a straight).

If opponent is a little cagey, he could easily be semibluffing with something like QJ or AT.

It's pretty easy to put opponent on a King, or Ten or 4-straight here. Could also be a 4-flush with the Td.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:45 PM

i dont like a fold here i dont think. This isn't a scary bet. I think calling and seeing what he does on the turn, or raising to 7k-ish both would make $ here. People lead-fold all the time. and we actually have a decent hand, gutshot, 1 maybe 2 overs. and a diamond just for kicks.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 PM

I like taking one off here and scaring the [censored] outa him.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 PM

Yeah I agree with what both you and Exit say. A semi-bluff push is not a horrible play either. Depends on the opponent.

As I said, it is possibly worth seeing a turn card for the medium bet. The key to going to the turn is extracting enough chips from the opponent to make the implied odds call worthwile.

Hero might get paid on an Ace if it doesn't straight the opponent. On the other hand, the Jack to a straight may not get paid. This makes the call for implied odds a little dodgy unless opponent is a complete dufus.

That said, and after reconsideration, maybe the only options are shove or fold. Maybe MLG's advice is better. Depends on the read on opponent.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:30 PM

you arent calling for implied odds. You are calling, because you have an ok draw, position, a hand that might be best, and a hand that even if it is behind may often win with a bet on a later street.

Your equity from the call does not come solely from implied odds. If it did you shouldnt call.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 PM

Anyone like the call to set up the turn bluff if a d hits? You have the Qd so it's hard to put the opponent on a fd and it gives you 10 more virtual outs.