Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Re: *** OFFICIAL 2007 DETROIT LIONS PLAYOFF THREAD ***

[ QUOTE ]
Short of missing the playoffs there is no blowing it. Er, well, that's certainly possible. But if it were to happen because Kitna got hurt, for example, meh I could live with it. 9ish wins and a playoff game, even a loss, is a huge improvement. I'll gladly take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so reminded of the Tigers season last year, Before the season I was asking for meaningful baseball in AUGUST. Whren that happened I just sat back and enjoyed it.

I don't care how these boys end up, they could miss the playoffs and I still wouldn't care. They are now guranteed to have meaningful games the rest of the year! Seriously that is a big deal for us long suffering fans.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 AM

I'm a Packers fan, but I'm impressed with what the Lions are doing this year. For the first time in a long time, the Packers-Lions game on Thanksgiving will mean something! I can't wait for that game.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Packers fan, but I'm impressed with what the Lions are doing this year. For the first time in a long time, the Packers-Lions game on Thanksgiving will mean something! I can't wait for that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that game will be the loudest in the history of Ford Field.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Even including that lame-ass Super Bowl a couple seasons ago, you might be right.

Yet somewhere under Ford Field still lies buried more "Fire Millen" signs than you can shake a stick at...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM

I guess there wont be a fire millen parade downtown this year. That was so funny. This coach is for real. Makes last few coaches seem like real easy going sissies. Also Blue skies Joey will not change, he uses his old " I work so hard and I deserve to be starter every game".
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even including that lame-ass Super Bowl a couple seasons ago, you might be right.

Yet somewhere under Ford Field still lies buried more "Fire Millen" signs than you can shake a stick at...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really torn about Millen. I mean, you can't just write off several years (six? I can't even count now) of extreme suckiness in a league that has a ton of parity. I mean, I like where the team is now, I like the coaching staff, I dunno if this team is built for the long haul (but at this point who cares?), so I guess he's done well this time. But that hardly means he's forgiven for being awful for several years, anymore than Carr leading Michigan to 8 straight wins and doing a nice job there means that App State doesn't matter.

But I guess I can't chant "Fire Millen" at Yost anymore, which sucks in one sense, but since it means the Lions matter again, I think I can live with it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for Lions fans: Having watched Calvin pretty closely for three years in college, and with the benefit of a real QB now, I expected him to get no less than 6 touches a game and maybe one or two hundred yard games by this point in the season. I realize that he missed a couple of games with an injury, and that you guys have a lot of weapons with Williams, Furrey, etc., but it still seems strange about the limited # of plays he is making.

So are you guys just trying to bring him along slowly? Does Martz not know how to use him? I find it hard to believe that he is underachieving given how amazing he was and his borderline legendary work ethic, but is this the case?

I heard Chris Mortensen on the radio here a week or two ago saying that there is no excuse for him not to get 10-12 touches a game, and it seemed to make sense, so what are you're plans for him?

[/ QUOTE ]I really dont see how CJ could average 10-12 touches a game. For example randy moss hasnt gone over 9 "touches" a game, of course he hasnt had an rushing attempts but I dont see how you can expect CJ to pull in 9-10 catches a game and then a few carries, its ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really dont see how CJ could average 10-12 touches a game. For example randy moss hasnt gone over 9 "touches" a game, of course he hasnt had an rushing attempts but I dont see how you can expect CJ to pull in 9-10 catches a game and then a few carries, its ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Trade for Tarvaris Jackson.
2. Bring him in 5-6 times a game.
3. Run the Option
4. ??????
5. Profit.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really dont see how CJ could average 10-12 touches a game. For example randy moss hasnt gone over 9 "touches" a game, of course he hasnt had an rushing attempts but I dont see how you can expect CJ to pull in 9-10 catches a game and then a few carries, its ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Sign Reggie Ball
2. Bring him in 5-6 times a game.
3. Run the Option
4. ??????
5. Profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really torn about Millen. I mean, you can't just write off several years (six? I can't even count now) of extreme suckiness in a league that has a ton of parity. I mean, I like where the team is now, I like the coaching staff, I dunno if this team is built for the long haul (but at this point who cares?), so I guess he's done well this time. But that hardly means he's forgiven for being awful for several years, anymore than Carr leading Michigan to 8 straight wins and doing a nice job there means that App State doesn't matter.

But I guess I can't chant "Fire Millen" at Yost anymore, which sucks in one sense, but since it means the Lions matter again, I think I can live with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand where you are coming from regarding Millen but the Marty hiring was praised because he was the "up and coming" assistant coach... well he sucked so strike 1 with coaches. The Mooch hiring was viewed as the savior and he just let the veterans do whatever so strike 2 with coaching.

Now to the drafts:
2002- Jonathon Joseph Harrington - Right pick at the time, didnt pan out, thats the risk you take with a top 5 QB

2003- Charles Rogers - Would have been McGahee if it wasnt for the ACL. Tore it up the first few games, breaks collerbone. smoke weed, some weed, and smoke more weed... break collerbone again, run a 4.9 for the chiefs.. all the talent in the world, but hey hey hey smoke weed everyday

2004: Millen finally gets it right, two impact 1st rounders Roy and KJ (when healthy)

2005: BMW - horrible pick... millen sucks

2006: Ernie Sims - Marinelli's pick, makes plays, hits hard

2007: CJ - Showing signs of being a major impact player. See end around vs TB

I feel from 2004-2007 Millen has done more right than wrong it just took a few years for the right to show up which is happening now. If this team makes the playoffs and better yet hosts a playoff game the city of Detroit would be 2x what it was like when the tigers made the playoffs. I really hope Millen has everything right this time and becomes celebrated in the city.