Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Check in the dark

I played in my first non-internet tournament the other night, and a couple of people checked in the dark before the turn card came out. I didn't get a chance to ask them: what is the particular strategy here? Are there particular cards you'd have to make this appropriate? Are you using it to set up a check raise? Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Check in the dark

Well, basically the idea is that it carries an implicit threat of a check-raise. You're transferring last action to your opponent, so to speak, by forcing her to act without any meaningful input from you in the present betting round.

The flaw, of course, is that if your in-position opponent checks behind, the dealer doesn't ask you what you'd like to do on this round. He merely raps the table, burns and deals out the next card, or if it's the river asks the players to show down. So the price of possibly scaring your opponent from betting (because she can't tell whether you've made your hand) is giving a free card or showdown when you might not wish to have done so if you'd seen the card.

Since you can always check (and threaten a check-raise) after looking at the next card, a check in the dark is only useful against players who are very psychologically vulnerable to it.

Perhaps I should have directed you here instead of writing a new post.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Check in the dark

Thank you.