Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 03:41 PM

Default handling tilt

A friend asked me today what i do when i take really bad beats. He tends to tilt like crazy when he runs bad and I told him I just roll my eyes and try not to let it bother me. Does anyone have any good advice on how to cope with a really bad run?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: handling tilt

Say, that you have to be happy, when you get a bad beat! When your opponent gets all his money in with 5% equity it's very, very, very EV+ for us.

Yeah, sometimes our opponents will draw us out, with his runner runner straight, but that is very normal. One time in twenty, our bad opponent has to win his 5% equity hand. Be happy, that there are such donkeys, without them you wouldn't make any $$$.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM

1.Reload
2.Be patient
3.Get in another pot with the donkey
4.Profit
Regards,
Carl
Old 07-26-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A friend asked me today what i do when i take really bad beats. He tends to tilt like crazy when he runs bad and I told him I just roll my eyes and try not to let it bother me. Does anyone have any good advice on how to cope with a really bad run?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing poker for 4 years and still don't have a definitive answer for this. Depends on the day for me, but sometimes I jump out of my chair and yell and curse like a savage monkey. I hate tilt.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:59 PM

In the short term, my best advice would be to stop playing. You have to know yourself well enough and be able to tell when you are getting upset and/or not playing well. Then the best thing to do, the only thing you should do, is stop playing for the day.

In the long run, it helps to remember when you have had good streaks and hit your sets, hit a lot of flops, stacked your opponents, etc.

Hopefully your friend has enough experience that he has gone through good runs and bad.

If he just started playing and is encountering a bad run right off the bat - that is very difficult to deal with. Probably best to take some time off and then come back and play through it.

You are never really prepared to handle bad beats until you have played enough to see that luck evens out. It also helps to keep records, with PokerTracker especially.

That lets you see that your Aces don't get cracked EVERY time, and you have won with them much more than you have lost, for example.

When you take a bad beat, it is almost automatic that you start thinking that this type of thing ALWAYS happens to you. It is good if you can look at some objective evidence to see that this isn't really the case.

Yeah, but you really need to recognize when you are tilting and stop playing immediately. This can be difficult, but with practice you can start recognizing the signs before it is too late.

have the discipline to stand up and wake away... come back when balanced.

1. Add donkey to friend list.
2. Stack him in another hand.
3. Repeat step 2 9/10 times.
4. Voila: tilt gone.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 PM

I always picture Patrik Antonius from the Aussie Millions coverage. He didn't show any reaction neither with bad beats nor when winning a desperate AI for survival. Especially the latter really impressed me as almost everyone would at least have been a little bit happy to survive.

I actively tried to take the same attitude and I am sometimes surpised at how calm I can stay in the face of ridiculous beats.

This is a rare case where fanboyism is +EV. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]